Another HG tragedy

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Paul Tjaden

Another HG tragedy

Post by Paul Tjaden »

Don't know if you guys are aware of this but I haven't seen anything on the forum so I thought I'd better post it.

Arlan Birkett (owner operator of Hang Glide Chicago)and an unidentified student died in a tandem hang gliding accident while on tow at Cushing Field near Chicago on Saturday evening at about 6:30. The details of the accident are not known although eye witness reports vary quite a bit . One witness said the glider fluttered and spun to the ground from 200 feet up like a wounded bird while another said they locked out low and impacted before they could recover from the wing over created by the lock out. The student was said to be fairly experienced and just about ready for solo flight.

I met Arlan at Quest a couple years back and got to know him pretty well. He was a kind and lovable guy that gave a great deal to the sport and to the people who knew and loved him. He will be greatly missed.

Paul T.