Elizabethville Sunday 10/8

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Elizabethville Sunday 10/8

Post by XCanytime »

Headed to Elizabethville, since it was too west at Woodstock and way too strong at the Pulpit. Romano Altamonte and I arrived within 10 minutes of each other at launch, noon thirtyish. Conditions were perfect. Moderate winds and overcast sky. Definitely soarable. Allan rounded out the large pilot contingent of 3 pilots, arriving around 1:15P. I set up while Allan and Romano dropped a car at the winery LZ.

Upon their return, I had a good launch at 2:30P and got up easily. Flew around for about a half hour in disorganized lift and a stiff headwind until I followed a lift line out to the edge of the winery. Got to 3680' MSL, almost 2K' above launch. Romano joined me in the air for his 1st flight at Elizabethville, and he got up easily as well. We shared the air for a bit, until Allan staged for an unassisted takeoff. I loitered in the vicinity of launch to ensure he got off OK. He had to wait a while, but he successfully launched and soon joined Romano and I above the ridge.

At this time I had been in the air over an hour, and it was a chilly flight. I decided to land before 4P at the winery. Flew out over the winery and upwind. The headwind was still pretty stiff, so I paid close attention to not get low behind the power lines that crossed the approach to the runway. Went on final high, so I had to do 2 S-turns to bleed off excess altitude. Still landed pretty close to the back of the LZ, since there was no wind in the shadow of the tree line at the back. Long carry to the winery building. Romano landed shortly after I did.

Allan decided to land at the alternate LZ, off of Earth Lane. After we packed up, Romano and I fetched Allan, and back at launch it had settled down enough that a top landing seemed doable. Bacil
XCanytime

Re: Elizabethville Sunday 10/8

Post by XCanytime »

Jackson XC Hang Gliding
Check out my activity on Garmin Connect. #beatyesterday
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activ ... que_id=921