The SAC 8/31

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

The SAC 8/31

Post by XCanytime »

Set out for the SAC after getting off work just before noon. Blue skies and no clouds on the way up. Had arranged to meet up w/ Samuel Lapp, a young fellow I had met from a previous outing at the SAC. Samuel lives near the town of Sacramento. Meetup time was after 3P. At launch it was moderate to strong at times, but mostly moderate, w/ plenty of light lulls. Set up and lo and behold, Joe Gorrie drives by. What a pleasant suprise! Now I've got 2 wire crew. I will fly!

Samuel showed up around 3P+. Briefed him on how to wire crew on the wing. W/ Joe and Samuel's assistance, I had a good launch at 3:23P. Found lift to the west and figure 8ed in it. Stair stepped my way up to above the ridge. Flew back over launch and hollered at Samuel from above. Headed toward Klingerstown w/ the realization that there would be very few open LZs on the way to the river, w/ cornfields dominating the landscape. Found a ratty climb to ~ 3K' MSL and headed to the Klingerstown Gap.

Jumped the gap, and headed towards another open LZ I had landed in years ago during my many river runs in the last 25 years at the SAC. Got to the Pillow Gap and shot across it w/ plenty of altitude. Now the dilemma. The ridge now curves to facing more NNW towards the river. I knew that there was the potential that the winds could be blowing NNE to NE down here, which would be treacherous and could pin me down here. I spotted an open LZ, so I crossed the "saddle" gap to stage in front of it, hoping to find lift to jump OTB and land at the Lykens Valley Golf Course.

So now what I had feared would happen is happening. I'm losing altitude and the winds are NE. I try to fly back towards Pillow, but I'm fighting a headwind and sinking. I commit to landing at the LZ, and I study it intensely, as there are multiple power line runs to contend with. I see a pole that is at the corner of a road, and I predict that there is a run across the field I plan to land in. Luckily I am still high when yes, now I can see the lines. I now commit to the field on the other side of the road, in between corn patches. It is breezy on the ground at 4:23P as I get ready to flare above some scrub grass. Left wing gets lifted, so I try to level the wing. Got it almost level, but now I belly in softly in overgrowth.

Long carry out to Mahantongo Creek Road. I'm just east of Malta, PA. Meet Lawrence Zerbe, the 82 year old occupant of the house I break down next to. Lawrence graciously gives me a ride back to launch for a $20 reward. Another XC adventure at the SAC ends well, due to the hospitality of Lawrence Zerbe. Bacil
XCanytime

Re: The SAC 8/31

Post by XCanytime »

XCanytime

Re: The SAC 8/31

Post by XCanytime »