Pulpit Saturday February 18th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Re: Pulpit Saturday February 18th

Post by XCanytime »

Got to launch just before 10A. Already soarable, w/ multiple ravens frolicking in the air around the ramps. Started setting up, awaiting the 2 other pilots to show. Will showed around 10:15A, then Allan around 11:15A. W/ their assistance, around 11:30A, I had a good "elevator" launch initially. The glider then dropped down a little, but I flew away and got up immediately.

Turned left and flew down towards The Corner against a WSW cross. Got almost to the last LZ, but was getting low due to the cross getting worse (the ridge curves more WNW facing down there). Turned around and beelined it back towards launch. Found ample lift away from the ridge, and was making quick over the ground w/ the quartering tailwind. Once I got to the Rt. 16 xing, I hesitated, checking my watch. I contemplated flying back by launch, but decided to head out and try to land at the golf course. I had already been in the air for close to 40 minutes, and the round robin flying protocol the 3 of us had agreed to prior to my flight meant I had to get on the ground soon for the next pilot in the pipe to take his turn at flying.

Saw it was breezy on the ground at the driving range. 2 flags showed a stiff wind out of the west. Had a good aircraft approach, and fast final. But as I rounded out, I climbed up a few feet when hit w/ some lift. Out the back of side of that, I hit a gradient, and the noise disappeared from my ears. I gently pulled in, and descended, now flying into an inrush of airflow, but not a lot. So I purposely rolled in slowly on the wheels. A little mud on the knees of the flight suit, no biggie. Carried over to the parking lot edge and broke down. Some die hard golfers were out on the links.

Will and Allan came down and picked me and my glider up. Back at launch it was still strong. Will had a good launch w/ Allan, my, and a wuffo's assistance. The 3rd man was definitely appreciated. Will got up and proceeded to have a 20 minute or so soaring flight. While Will was flying I got a call from Matthew, who was at Smithsburg w/ his PG, and accompanied by his wife Fresia. Matthew volunteered to come help Allan launch. So Allan and I waited for Matthew and Fresia to arrive. They eventually did, just after 3P. The 3 of us got Allan into the air around 3:20P in moderate to strong conditions. He immediately got up, and flew over to the SW bowl.

2 hours later Allan had a nice landing in the main LZ. The next day Allan, Will, and I travelled to 501, but it was blown out all day. At least each of us got a nice flight in at the Pulpit the day before. Bacil