Pulpit Saturday January 28th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Pulpit Saturday January 28th

Post by XCanytime »

Looks great after noon. Any interest????? Bacil
Danny Brotto

Re: Pulpit Saturday January 28th

Post by Danny Brotto »

There's a P-40 Expanded TFR up... adjust downwind dashes accordingly.

Danny Brotto
XCanytime

Re: Pulpit Saturday January 28th

Post by XCanytime »

Got to launch at 10A. Already soarable and STFI. Sky looked great, w/ plenty of cumies drifting in from the west. Ravens were frolicking in the air. Used the foot shovel to remove a small amount of snow from the ramp as best I could. Large wavy cloud was just above Cove Mountain and stayed in place for the time I was doing the foot shovel thing. Neat phenomena that was highlighted by the fact that the sun was just enough east of the cloud that it shone on the ramp while the east end of the cloud didn't drift downwind at all.

Allan showed up at 11:15A. We chewed the fat for a while. Then a car pulled up, and out popped Karl Shackmann. He was there to retrieve the weather station for repair. Allan and I aided Karl in the retrieval. A bit tricky w/ the 3" of snow that was on the rocky terrain around the weather station mast. We managed to get the station down w/o too much trouble. I asked Karl if he could stick around long enough to help me launch, and he answered yes. Set up quickly, and w/ Karl and Allan's help I had an elevator launch from the ramp just after 1P in moderate to strong conditions.

Found a strong headwind in the air out of the WSW. Headed over to the SW bowl to try to find a climb up to the raggedy clouds above. Every once in a while one of the clouds coalesced into a nice pillow, but the best I could do was 3200' MSL. A half hour into the flight I saw a high cloud deck moving in from the WSW. Decided to land so that the round robin promise to Allan could be realized by 3P. Headed towards the main LZ, finding good lift and some mild turbulence. Had a nice approach and a no step landing into a brisk headwind just before 2P.

Got a body ride from Allan. Back at launch it was still soarable at 3P. So Allan set up while I retrieved my glider from the LZ. At 3:45P on the ramp conditions were smooth as a baby's bottom, and Allan launched at 3:47P into a high overcast. He got up easily and had a nice 1 hour+ flight in smooth air, climbing to 1200' over, and having a nice landing right at 5P.

Temps were comfortable. It got to 52 degrees on the surface, and save for the wet feet I got sloshing around in the 3" of snow in the setup area and by the weather station, I stayed quite warm. Bacil