Woodstock Dec 26th, 2021 (what a day!)

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Bari

Woodstock Dec 26th, 2021 (what a day!)

Post by Bari »

What a day, it started off cross and light but by 1PM everything changed. I took off few minutes after 1:30 PM and flew around for little over 2 hours. It was initially west cross by after 2PM it became north'ish. It was one of those days when one could have flown the entire ridge.

I was able to convince Rich Heigel to come out too. And he had a great flight as well. There were total of 5 PG pilots but 4 flew at different times.

Below is my flight track :)

https://ayvri.com/scene/85qdym99j4/ckxo ... 6keellvmt0
1otIII2007

Re: Woodstock Dec 26th, 2021 (what a day!)

Post by 1otIII2007 »

Raven Haven was good also. Will, Aron and myself flew Raven Haven today. It was crossed from the left about 20 degrees and quite windy. I was getting 18MPH on the GPS at times. Even so the turbulence was not bad. Seems like it can handle a lot of wind without being blown out. The lift was consistent and easy to soar. I flew about 6 miles to the left of launch and back, about 1 mile from the end of the ridge.
Here is the track: https://ayvri.com/scene/0jgrreyeko/ckxo ... 694f2jok5y

Allan B.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Thanks for sharing! That is great. If not and if needed, Fly with hand warmers next time and bar mittens from Bluesky to stay warm.
I need a new job, not easy getting time off.
Knut
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Happy that you guys soared!

From your flight track Bari, looks as if bar mitts and perhaps a life vest and/or tree climbing gear may have also helped as the track ends with you low and headed for the river. How’d your landing go?

Allen, many thanks for the Ravens Haven info! Is the launch/setup area similar to Woodstock’s and, in lite conditions, could one self-launch?

Ward
Bari

Post by Bari »

I didn't wear my warm gloves cause I thought it wasn't cold until my nose started freezing an hour into the flight and also my hands.

LoL landed in the middle of the bridge LZ, but somehow the track stopped some 700 feet above ground. I was checking my instrument perhaps I turned it off or it stopped recording with me fingering around with it.

I messaged Bacil before uploading the track that it shows I landed in the mountain :)
1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

Raven Haven's setup area is easier than Woodstock but walking the glider to launch is a little more difficult. You would be able to self-launch as easy as Woodstock once you get the glider in position. I had one person help me the first time I flew there and it was no problem. The soaring conditions were very good. That being said: The launch does not have much room for error and would be very hazardous to blow a launch. We still want to improve the ramp to make it safer. You can go to http://www.youtube.com and search "Ravens Haven Dreams" to see my launch and flight.

Allan B.