Hog Back self investigation

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Joe Schad

Hog Back self investigation

Post by Joe Schad »

Well I went back to Hog Back to see if I could find my helmit that I knocked over while breaking down only to watch it roll down the mountain out of site while hearing it bounce off rocks. I found it about two hundred feet down the mountain.

I did a little cutting of shrubs and small trees at launch, not nearly enough however. I cut a few that will allow about three more steps in a launch run in the future. I didn't get down in the slot to cut the stuff that i went thru and got turned in to the trees. After standing in the slot for a while today I realize that the wind indications I used yesterday did not show much of the cross that was likely there when I launched yesterday. I should have spend more time looking at conditions before launching and probably not launched at least when I did. Still as I reviewed the four or at most five steps that I took yesterday I believe it would have been possible to successfully clear everything if my run had been a more agressive one. As in most accidents it is the sequence of errors that gets a person in trouble and I made several yesterday. I should know better.

Joe
breezyk1d

Hogback

Post by breezyk1d »

Joe;

I'm so glad to hear that you walked away relatively easily from your launch. And thank you for posting about your accident, and your post-evaluation. It really does serve as an informative learning tool for some of us. -Linda B.