Local options Mon31May?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Local options Mon31May?

Post by markc »

I know that the Sac might be the better option for Memorial-Day Monday....

But I have to be local, so wondering if there's any interest in the Pulpit?

Or maybe even High Rock?

Definitely looks a bit cross-N at this point, so I get that the interest-level might not be all that great. But figured I should at least raise the possibility, guess it would all depend on how may pilots have holiday plans/commitments.
mcgowantk

Re: Local options Mon31May?

Post by mcgowantk »

For what it is worth, I think it looks good for the Pulpit. I could do High Rock too but I have not heard about the LZ for some time.

I will keep checking the forecast.

Tom
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

If forecast holds, planning to fly at Woodstock tomorrow with the PG’s.
Knut
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I am torn between the SAC and the Pulpit. But the Pulpit looks better on a whole day timeline reference whereas the SAC has a small window of optimum launch conditions before it goes NW for the rest of the day. Bacil
Bari

Post by Bari »

krryerson wrote:If forecast holds, planning to fly at Woodstock tomorrow with the PG’s.
Knut
I think it's a brilliant strategy. You plan on going XC?
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

If conditions are good, definitely XC.
markc

Post by markc »

I do like the idea of giving WStock a chance on a light day, but I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble on it tomorrow. So if a fair number of pilots chime-in for the Pulpit I'll probably head there. If not, then maybe WStock after all.
bustedwing2

Post by bustedwing2 »

i'm up for the pulpit, sac first and then pulpit later is too long a day for me,
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I'll post later this evening where I'm headed. I definitely will meet Alex at 6P at the Pulpit to observe him. Right now I'm planning on an early flight at the SAC, then driving to the Pulpit to meet Alex by 6P. But now the hourly at HGR shows no NNW, so hmmmm. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

I think I'm going to stop checking the forecast every 30 minutes (NW? NNW? N?), and just make the call tomorrow morning :D
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I'm with you Mark. I will check in the morning too.

Tom
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Heading to the Pulpit. Bacil
Bari

Post by Bari »

XCanytime wrote:Heading to the Pulpit. Bacil
Early morning flight?
markc

Post by markc »

I'll swing by the Pulpit today, what the heck?
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

I have committed to go to Woodstock today.
Just me and a local pilot John Mc. It’s a gambling and we’ll see... Pulpit should be good too, but never sure how much it will ramp up later. Probably not a problem today...
Seems like wind direction on both places are not perfect too... not easy...
Knut
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I am heading to the Pulpit. Tom
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Packing down. I was the only one that did not fly. Waited and waited. Not the place to be today for me. John Mc flew, short flight.. some PG pilots flew, but it really never turned on in my opinion. Well, there was a few windows...Hope Pulpit worked out better today.
Knut
markc

Post by markc »

Mixed bag at the Pulpit today.... Arrived 10:45 and chatted with Bacil. Pretty darn cross north. Tom arrived, then Charlie, Rich, Alan, Mark Gardner, and Alex. There were some super light periods, and Tom decided to bail around 2:30 or so. I slowly talked myself out of flying, at which point the Gardinator went to the ramp, waited for a thermal, and launched like it was nothing. A bit of a struggle, but he quickly connected and was 2k above in no time. Sigh. Sky God stuff. Charlie bagged it due to multiple constraints.
Rich and Alex (Hang2) had extendos to the secondary. Alan had a short but decent soaring flight late day (after a flight at the Sac!). Bacil had no flying plans for the day, just out to help. Definitely worth the drive, nice day!
markc

Post by markc »

Oh: The grass/hay is waist to chest high in the primary. The planted section has tiny corn plants, you can still land and then carefully carry out.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I'll just add that I got up at 5:30A, checked the Holfuy windmeter, and it was already soarable (ridge). On the road by 6:30A, at the Pulpit launch by 8:45A, and monitored the Holfuy windmeter the whole way. And it was continuously soarable (ridge). It stayed ridge soarable til about 10A, when it lightened up considerably. My goal for the day was to get Alex the Hang 2 his 1st Pulpit flight in a safe environment after 6P. And it worked out perfectly. The conditions on the ramp were quite smooth at 6P, w/ a gentle 5 to 8 MPH westerly wind wafting up the ramp. Rich, Alex, and Allan took advantage of the nice launch conditions w/ good launches. Rich and Alex stuck w/ their flight plans and landed to the north in the secondary LZ. Their Falcons glided a little further than they expected, but they pulled off relatively good landings. The Gardinator rules 8) . And we got an unexpected visit from former pilot Carlos Weill, who showed up w/ his wife and 7 year old son Patrick. As Mark said,, it was a real nice day.. Bacil
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Agree, seems like Pulpit would have worked perfect for most pilots yesterday, early start and/or late “glass-off”.
For Woodstock: Early birds did get the best flights and don’t think there was any glass-off yesterday at WS.
In retrospect, should have studied the forecast better, coming early to WS or early/late to Pulpit, or launched after John Mc.
Was seriously thinking about continuing up to Pulpit, but my in-laws visiting and bailed to get home by 8pm.
Knut
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Earlier in this thread there was talk of High Rock.

I spoke with someone at Hyner who had been by High Rock. He reported that Emma Jane's grandson said they're still cutting the grass for us. It sounds like they want us back.
David Bodner