PG Question

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

hepcat1989

PG Question

Post by hepcat1989 »

I was wondering if PG Pilots can jump from a plane, and deploy. If so, that's another way to launch. Kind of like aerotow for hg- powered launch. I'm heading to Chambersburg airport today for some big fly-in. I may take a flight around town. There will be ultralights, parachuting, powered pg, and planes. Shawn.
Spark

PG 'Jumping'

Post by Spark »

Some adventurous pilots have developed a method called 'D-bagging'. The PG canopy is folded into a large container so that it will easily come out and open. This technique has been used successfully (by experience pilots) to drop from ultralights, hot-air balloons, bridges, and even helicopters. Mike Kung 'D-bagged' from a helicopter and crossed the english channel.

http://www.flyozone.com/video/videoplay ... ame=pg2003

I suspect that a conventional airplane would travel too fast for a safe D-bag opening ... but what do I know?
'Spark
Spark

Other Deployment-Bag (D-Bag) related links

Post by Spark »

'Spark
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Ok, well that answers that! Thanks for the cool ass footage Spark. I was watching skydivers yesterday, and the sky they were jumping in. The sky was full of cummies. I guess that they just can't thermal- not enough wing surface ?. When I saw them land they flare to a dead stop, and touch down very easy. Hmm - Those Damm Bag Wings.

I may be missing out on something! :twisted:
Peace, Shawn.