Running slot at High Rock

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

RichH

Running slot at High Rock

Post by RichH »

I'm writing this to elicit some thoughts on the possibility of investigating opening a running slot launch at High Rock. Many years ago I worked for a Hang Gliding Shop called Sport FLight out of Gaithersburg Md. One of our hopes at the time was to look into the possibility of securing a running launch at High Rock. What I came up with at the time was the possibility of a clearing a slope just above the rock pile on the southern edge of the small ridge where the cliff launch is located. I bring this up for several reasons.
1. HR is fairly close to both DC and Baltimore and offers superb soaring conditions and when the conditions are right an exceptional lift band.
2. I believe there is still the possibility we could secure the landing field since its still in possession of one of Emma's relatives.
3. Opening a running slot would open up this outstanding sight to both HG and PG.
4. I have a sentimental connection to HR since it was my primary flying site during the late 70's into the 80's before I moved up to New England.
5. I believe the Land is owned by Washington Co. and I do believe a deal could be struck.
6. Why not just open the cliff launch? because the cliff isnt available to PG and I think for us to secure a suitable site it needs to include the PG
community.
I hope this inspires some conversation into the possibility.. Rich Hiegel
mingram

Re: Running slot at High Rock

Post by mingram »

That would be awesome! If you have a contact with Washington Co, please proceed! Let me know what help you need.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
A.Lloyd

Post by A.Lloyd »

About 6 months ago there was a club conversation on Google groups advising that Hagerstown Airport now increases their airspace from about sunrise to sunset due to more jets flying in and out. My understanding was that High Rock falls in that air space and we can no longer fly there.
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Hagerstown Regional is a Class D airport and has been for umpty-scrunch years. On the most recent sectional it has not expanded nor turned into any other airspace. Sometime Class D airports revert to Class E at night and those hours vary but there is no airspace restriction that would disallow flying Part 103 aircraft at High Rock. In fact it is still marked with a "Hang Gliding" symbol on the latest sectional. There is an ILS approach to runway 27 so pilots practicing approaches might be around 3000 ft at Rouzerville but that is pretty north of the main ridge. The only airspace issue at HR is when there is an TFR around Camp David which in recent years has been rare.

Danny Brotto
RichH

Post by RichH »

I've started to look into this possibility . I could use any information the membership may have on contacts at Washington Co.
bustedwing2

Post by bustedwing2 »

Thinking i heard something about reduced jet traffic at hgr due to the china bug etc, same problem a lot of airports are having.
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Here's some useless information.

I believe it was Ralph Sickinger who arranged with Washington County to put up the Hanggliding by permit-only sign. He probably dealt with someone in the county administrator's office.

Washington County owns a very small parcel of land just immediately surrounding the rock. Around that, it's the state DNR. Go far enough below launch, and it becomes railroad property.

Years ago I was able to look up the properties in the online plats. I have vague memories of detecting what I thought was a mistake in the plats. I don't remember the details, but I probably wrote it up for this forum the last time we entertained this idea.

David Bodner
David Bodner
RichH

Post by RichH »

Thanks for that information I will take a look at who to contact at the Maryland Dept. Natural Resources