I flew I flew!!!

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Lauren Tjaden

I flew I flew!!!

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

I planned to fly a couple of weeks ago -- for the first time after my wreck -- but it didn't work out. I felt fine on the simulator, but was incapable of picking up a glider (bad shoulder). I thought it would be irresponsible to fly.
That day -- when I couldn't pick up the glider-- ?Paul flew the to beach with Ric and played in the surf, and later feasted on seafood. I drove home early and chewed on the idea that I might not be able to?compete in Big Springs. Spitting out my congratulations to Paul felt hard. I know a competition and summer plans don't mean much in the grand scheme of life, but the disappointment tasted bitter.
Well, I still cannot lay on my left side, but?I CAN pick up a glider.? And TODAY I did fly. I was petrified. What a baby I am.?I flew early, like at noon,?because?I wanted to have at least have one landing back at Highland before I took off XC.
The flight?was nothing special. I spent half an hour soaring, carving gentle turns in the softest of lift. I started crying a little when I looked sideways and saw Griffin's wings, so familiar, so beautiful, all red and black against the blue of the sky. I know, I am a huge sap. But you forget how it all feels and looks and smells.
I was petrified again when?I landed. I was afraid?I was high on my approach. My usual confidence faded into a lump in my stomach. Griffin set me down as lightly as she always does, though, with nary a step.
I?gulped a bottle of water and flew again then, for about an hour. I got flushed with everyone else, but before then, I reached 4800 feet and tasted some cooler air. I landed at home once again, and my heart wasn't beating quite so fast as the last time.
I need to shoot a few approaches but my landings are fine and my flying is fine, too. I mean, it could always be finer but it felt good. Paul flew two sides of a triangle, and Ed Below and John Simon, plus Derek joined me for some soaring. Heather, George,?Marlene and Dawson came for some late day flights. Heather looked pretty slick on a Falcon she tried, and I wonder if Dawson soloed tonight.
Life is good.?I am sure Paul will be grateful if I am not such a bitch anymore, too.
Lauren
PS. The ortho doc said?I needed an MRI, but our insurance doesn't cover it (I have a big deductible). I decided that if an activity didn't hurt I would do it, and if it did hurt,?I wouldn't. I figured?I saved $1000 bucks this way, and ordered a 5030 flight instrument. It should be here soon.

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
hang_pilot

I flew I flew!!!

Post by hang_pilot »

Gin is also cheaper than an MRI!

Congrats, Lauren! If I don't see you before you leave, best of luck in
Texas. I hope you set some new personal bests!

~Daniel

P.S. Of course you landed fine. Remember when you hit those MOVING spots
for your H4?

P.S.S. Charlotte's (my girlfriend, not Linda's daughter) reaction to
meeting you during the fly-in, "Damn, she's tough"!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
breezyk1d

The Sky Goddess returns...

Post by breezyk1d »

Of course you did! I think you are the only one worried about getting back in the saddle. Glad to hear it was a reassuring experience. Now, when you feel ready, go kick some comp butt! (But be safe too!) -Linda B. :D