News from Santa Teresinha, Bahia, Brazil

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

wmelo

News from Santa Teresinha, Bahia, Brazil

Post by wmelo »

After 5 days flying, I would summarize the tour as AWESOME!!!

I flew 5 days, 6 flights. I had 2 very short flights where I could finally learn how to land using my new Rotor Harness. 2 moderate lift flights (+- 49 min) where I could get know better the environment. And 2 XC flights on Brazilian outback (“sertão”) for 1st time in my life (10 miles)

The pousada where we stayed is located 10km from the ramp. The pousada was good: a swim pool, rooms with A/C, frigo bar, hot water, floors & walls with clean ceramics, & charming amak in the varanda. Breakfast with 2 or 3 types of juice, eggs, ham, cheese, and cakes: we can eat how much you want. Every night we had a very good dinner, at least 3 types of meat, and other Brazilian home cooked food: again you can eat all you want. I got at least 2 pounds!

Brazilian Pilots were very welcoming & did the best to assist us. The two rescue teams were very reliable.

Mark had oustsdanding flights : landed 2 days in Itatin (15 km) & Acu (80km)

After the clinic, Marc & I went to Itacaré for coast flight (cliff) with Beto. Unfortunately winds were not favorable. I returned to Salvador to spend the week with my wife. Marc went to “Morro de São Paulo” ( car free touristic island ). From there he took a catamaran to Salvador.

I am looking forward to returning!!!
Attachments
Walt landed
Walt landed
Marc landed
Marc landed
Some Brazilian pilots landed in the main LZ
Some Brazilian pilots landed in the main LZ
A little horse riding after landing
A little horse riding after landing
Rescue crew were always fun & reliable
Rescue crew were always fun & reliable
Last edited by wmelo on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
wmelo

Re: News from Santa Teresinha, Bahia, Brazil

Post by wmelo »

Santa Terezinha ‘s landscape is amazing
Attachments
4E2858FC-36C1-4622-926E-0178899BE387.jpeg
Walt Melo
+1.804.walt.743
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Thanks for posting it!
I am so jealous.
Knut
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

We are planning to go again to Santa Terezinha (April) and/or Brasília (July)
Walt Melo
+1.804.walt.743
gardinator

Post by gardinator »

Duuuuudes,

Walt has not described our adventure accurately...…

It was WAY BETTER than AWESOME !!

I have dreamed/tried to get to Brazil to go flying for over 20 years, and Walt made that dream a reality.

Without his help, it would have been extremely difficult. As it worked out, even without the flying, we had THE BEST TIME!!!

WITH the flying and adventures, I will say that I was definitely 'LIVIN the DREAM' !!!

I have flown all over the US and also in Mexico and Venezuela, and have to say that this was the greatest flying adventure yet!

Beto Schmidt is not only a great pilot and coach and teacher and Brazilian champion many times over, He is one of the coolest people I have ever met.
Also, the Pousada run by Se Galena, was so perfect, it must be experienced ! The website photos do not do it justice.

Although this last clinic almost ran into the rainy season, we had great flying!

Santa Teresinha is perfectly user friendly with an easy LZ right out in front and a reasonably good sized ridge to hunt for thermals.

It is semi-desert / very arid climate and during my time there, cloudbase was between 4000-6000 feet over launch.

Don't ask me MSL cause they use meters and I don't do math...…………….

The first two days started with rain, but cleared by the afternoon which worked perfectly for us to get used to the rented gliders. I soared 30-40 minutes both days.

The first good day I got to base several times and flew @ 50 miles and worked with another 6-8 pilots to find lift on the course.

The XC route is easy to understand with roads and towns and lots of landing areas.

The next day I got to base again and went with Walt on his first XC ! Loads of fun !

The following day I got to base again (do you detect a pattern? ) and was kinda waiting for the others at base again over Iatim……

I was so in love with this place I was humming the POOH Bear song at cloudbase : ))))) I got whited out and moved on to the next cloud, but couldn't get it.....nice landing tho'

The last flying day looked sketchy, so the friendly task was cross wind @3-4 miles south to the local Rodeo.
I was blessed again to get to base, and flew upwind and all around the vicinity until I was in a position to land at the Rodeo.

We then took the ultimate road trip adventure to fly at Itacare which is a place on some foothills overlooking pristine beaches. A picture perfect tropical paradise.

Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and we did not fly. : (((((

I am so chock full of stories and experiences that I would love to tell you all about (for the price of a beer or two)

Better yet, join us next year and see for yourself !

my mind was blown-

-gardner
markc

Post by markc »

Photos, we demand more photos!!! :D
Sounds like an awesome time!
John Simon

Post by John Simon »

Great report guys. Heather and I loved Brazil as well. We had a great trip there in 2017 and went to Brasilia and Rio and flew both sites numerous times. If you go to Brasilia, call me or email me if you want some info.

Regards,

John
JFS737@Gmail.com
wmelo

Post by wmelo »

Not everything was perfect. Our return flight was canceled & we had to spend another day in Salvador paid by Copa Airlines. Well if life gives you lemons, make a “caipirinha”

https://youtu.be/77lcqwC1G5U
Attachments
F10B4A4B-5200-43AD-ABFB-11A20D78BBB6.jpeg
DD08D102-DA76-4D48-A102-DF66F5DEEF2D.jpeg
E90F875D-5ABD-440C-9176-0E7002DE4CAB.jpeg
4593B3EE-CD37-483C-845B-984559A64FEA.jpeg
A8226A9B-A682-47A6-9E4F-9AE1BDF83E2E.jpeg
Walt Melo
+1.804.walt.743