Weekend Traffic Warning

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

batmanh3

Weekend Traffic Warning

Post by batmanh3 »

Heaviest Traffic Impacts of 11-year Construction Project Just Ahead -- From 8:00 p.m., Friday, July 15th to 5:00 a.m., Monday, July 18th. northbound I-95/Beltway Outer Loop just west of the Wilson Bridge will be reduced to one lane. Ramps from north and southbound US Route 1 to the Outer Loop will be closed with detours to Telegraph Road. The ramp from northbound I-95/Outer Loop to northbound US Route 1 also will be closed with detours to Telegraph Road. To help divert traffic, where northbound I-95 joins the Capital Beltway at the Springfield Interchange, the ramp to the Wilson Bridge will be closed. Long-distance traffic will be routed around the Beltway in the opposite direction. Local travelers will be directed up I-395. Reducing the Outer Loop to one lane just west of the Wilson Bridge is forecasted to result in weekend backups of 10 to 15 miles, with 60 to 90 minute delays. All travelers are urged to avoid the area, if at all possible. Long distance travelers should consider bypasing Washington DC with alternate routes including US 301 to the east and US 17 to I-81 to the west.
Scott

Post by Scott »

YIKES! :o Don't even get me going about traffic around DC. (And thanks for the warning Chris---I hadn't heard that one.)

Holly and I were just talking about how much worse traffic has become over the past 5 years. Five years ago, we didn't readjust every event in our lives to carefully time when we would be anywhere near I-95, I-495, I-270, or I-66. It didn't use to be a decision that could ruin your whole day if you chose wrong.

That's the way it is today though!
Scott