Pulpit Saturday July 9th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Pulpit Saturday July 9th

Post by Matthew »

Great day at the Pulpit. Bruce, Dan and I made it to the Rock. Mark C. made it to Waynesboro. Everyone else soared: Karen, Joe B., Carlos, Craig, Linda, Sparky, Chris Dabrwoski and Gary S.

Bruce went OTB first. I went about 30 minutes later, followed by Mark C and Dan much later. The crossing was pretty easy. It's the first time I've gone XC when I had clouds to indicate lift. Usually I'm blundering off into the blue or finding clouds that have stopped working. Wow! It's so much easier to go XC when their are actual signs of lift to lead you on. Got to 6Kmsl (not quite cloudbase) a few times and made it to the Rock at 4Kmsl where I had to fight to get down.

BIG, BIG THANKS TO SPARKY for diverting to come pick up Bruce and I at HR and then Mark on the way back to the Pulpit. Mark C. flew again and I flew my PG at the end of the day. It was way North cross and the air was rat-nasty... only got 200 over. James Coblentz and another Powered PG pilot launched from a park West of McConnelsburg and crossed the valley to join me on the ridge. James did a touch and go in the LZ and then did one at launch. I kept expecting it to go magic. But it just got more cross, rattier and nastier. I landed near the breakdown area after about 45 minutes.

The LZ is mostly full of crops. There's a small area to land at the breakdown area and another small clear section in the middle of the field. The whole back field, however, is clear with low grass. Most of the HGs landed back there. It's a long carryout or you can take a 4WD road to this back field by using the driveway of the house to the South of the LZ.

But where was Bacil???

And how was Ridgley????

Matthew
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Wow. Wow Wow! Super flyin guys. Was it one of those special days or what? You guys seemed to know it was gonna be good yesterday. Man, that's something else. One of these days. Thanks for the report Matthew, Shawn.