Jack's July 3rd

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Jack's July 3rd

Post by Matthew »

SPECTACULAR DAY AT JACK'S! Karen and I got there around 2:00 to find Cavanaugh and Joe B. up and sky high... maybe a couple of others. 100-mile Linda and a few other Rochester pilots were already set-up and ready to go. David B. arrived and he helped Karen and I launch the Rochester crew. Winds were mostly straight in about 6-8 with slightly stronger gusts occasionally. I decided to fly my PG. Helped Karen and Dave B. launch as John Simon and Heather arrived from Hyner. I forgot my vario and my spare vario, Spario, wasn't working right either. So I flew Bacil-style... no vario.

I launched the PG from behind the gaurdrail this time. The wing came up crooked the first three times, burying a few wuffos on one attempt. I had some sort of snag in the lines that wouldn't pop out when I pulled the wing up. After careful inspection I found a big old knot holding two of the lines together. After I removed the knot I gave it another go and got off okay. Thanks to Heather and wuffos for holding my wing up out of the gravel during all of my launch attempts.

It was the longest and nicest PG flight I've ever had-- better than any of my XCs in the PG. Got just over three hours and got stinkin' high in a few thermals. Don't know how high-- didn't have an altimeter. It was really nice not having to hear that constant beep-beep-beep while flying. Got low a few times but pimped off of Karen and other Hangies to get back up. Karen got a couple of hours and a few K over. It went magic at about 6:15 so I flew the last twenty minutes on the ridge hands off. What a blast! I wish I would've had a camera. I could've taken some great pics of Linda B. and David B. and Paul from Pittsburgh. A bunch of other folks from Hyner, including Danny, showed up while I was in the air and the sky was full of hang gliders and one quiet blue sky buoy.

Matthew
tomceunen

happy pilot

Post by tomceunen »

jaja another happy pilot, thats nice to hear!

Daniels today was quite similar.
Overcast at 11AM but with a nice breeze. Broke up at 3PM = clear sky with cumili. In fact it was flyable non-stop from 11AM-9PM. If that was not the longest flight this summer?

Hope to see you soon, maybe Dickeys?
Matthew

Next Weekend

Post by Matthew »

Looks like another warm spell coming this way and hanging around through the weekend. If so, plan to go climbing Sat. morning and then head to Daniel's mid-day. Got my Skyline Drive permint again this year and still haven't ever flown any of the Skyline sites.

Matthew
Spark

Post by Spark »

I am also looking forward to flying Dickey's with PG.

Negotiations for flying PG at this site have recently been conducted with the NPS. Having a permit to fly HG is not sufficient to fly PG there.

Before we fly PG there, we need to coordinate our initial efforts. and we need clearance from NPS officials.

Please contact me offline about this.
'Spark
breezyk1d

Conquering my Jack's sinkout!

Post by breezyk1d »

Did it!

Flew Jack's in great lift and STAYED UP. That last is very important. AND conquered the bad moojo from my last trip to Jack's in which I sank out twice. Hooray!

Flew 1.25 hours and got up to about 1500 over launch.

Boated around Matthew in his bagwing quite a bit (I in my baggy falcona), and was flying with Karen C., Danny B, Dave B. and a couple other folks whom I did not recognize.

Did a lousy approach (way too high), bled off altitude at the wrong place, and thought the signals I was getting from the pilots already on the ground meant I should stuff the bar. Turned out they were telling me that the wind direction was 180 from the approach I was making, but clueless, I landed downwind (fast) because I couldn't find the streamer, and misunderstood the body signals I was getting! Time to read more of the manual!

Kudos to Danny B. for observing and launching me, and making so much airtime available to me!

Gotta work on my approaches more. But what a funtastic time that flight was for me! -Linda B.
breezyk1d

Jack's

Post by breezyk1d »

:roll: I forgot to mention that Mark C. was super duper in getting several post-Hyner+ pilots (myself included) back up to their vehicles despite his pre-aranged plans to depart in company from the LZ! Please don't hesitate to request a retrieve or shuttle anytime I can be of assistance, Mark. I'd be delighted to return the favor many times over. - Linda B. :)
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Wait to go Linda!It's good to hear that you kicked "Jack's" ass this time. Sounds to me that your falcon is treating you very well. Peace Shawn.
breezyk1d

Post by breezyk1d »

Hey Shawn;
I hope you are recuperating well from your surgery and will be back flying soon, and better than ever! -Linda B.