Fly-in pictures

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

rs54263

Fly-in pictures

Post by rs54263 »

Pictures from Saturday at the Fly-in are now up at:
http://photos.sickinger.net

I apologize in advance for the pictures looking a little ratty; there
are over 675 images, and to reduce the total download time I ended up
shrinking the images twice, and then applying a sharpening algorithm.
Possibly the JPEG compression is set too high on that computer, or the
number of manipulations caused the problem, but many of the images now
contain JPEG artifacts. Trust me - the original images do look better!
If you need to see a higher quality version of any image (or set of
images), just let me know. I will be more than happy to reprocess
individual folders (so you can see the entire sequence better) at my
normal size and quality settings, by request.

Note: Images 12174 through 12532 (Pilots 13-34) were taken by my
fiancee Maria.

~Ralph
brianvh

Fly-in pictures

Post by brianvh »

Wow, you just click away like a demon. I almost feel I could put the
pictures together in a flip-book and have animation. Cool.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149
Steve Vogel

Post by Steve Vogel »

Thanks for the photos Ralph. From the looks of them there may be a need for a landing clinic. Me included. Photo set 5 and 17.

Steve Vogel
Matthew

Crosswind Bellyflop

Post by Matthew »

I'm the first unknown in the blue glider with the fin. Quite a bellyflop. Karen had been having problems with her landings a while back and I told her then that she wasn't getting upright enough and not getting her arms up high enough on the downtubes just before flaring. If you're semi-prone and too low on the DTs, as we all know, you just push yourself backwards in the control frame and there's no flare. Plus, you're feet aren't under you so landing on your feet is then even harder. You can see in the pics of her that she is totally upright and has a great landing. Whereas I'm semiprone, behind the glider and my arms are too low on the DTs. Plus if you notice the windsock, I'm landing crosswind. It had been blowing out of the SW when I turned on final but then abruptly switched to the SE. I HAVE WITNESSES! Still, that's no excuse. I should have gotten upright earlier and gotten my legs underneath me as I'm always telling everyone. That way you can RUN if you end up crosswind or in a downwind situation with lots of ground speed.

Matthew
breezyk1d

Fly-in pictures

Post by breezyk1d »

I noticed that Ralph neatly excised my nose grinding pirouette that I landed somewhere in those 8 tows which Brian V-H kindly extracted me from!? Thanks Ralph for not showing it J? Even though it happened L
?

-Linda B.

Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 4:46 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Fly-in pictures

?
I'm the first unknown in the blue glider with the fin. Quite a bellyflop. Karen had been having problems with her landings a while back and I told her then that she wasn't getting upright enough and not getting her arms up high enough on the downtubes just before flaring. If you're semi-prone and too low on the DTs, as we all know, you just push yourself backwards in the control frame and there's no flare. Plus, you're feet aren't under you so landing on your feet is then even harder. You can see in the pics of her that she is totally upright and has a great landing. Whereas I'm semiprone, behind the glider and my arms are too low on the DTs. Plus if you notice the windsock, I'm landing crosswind. It had been blowing out of the SW when I turned on final but then abruptly switched to the SE. I HAVE WITNESSES! Still, that's no excuse. I should have gotten upright earlier and gotten my legs underneath me as I'm always telling everyone. That way you can RUN if you end up crosswind or in a downwind situation with lots of ground speed.

Matthew

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>
CraginS

ID fo #10

Post by CraginS »

Unkonw #10.. Blue Stealth with yellow right wing tip is Mike Chevalier

[quote="rs54263"]Pictures from Saturday at the Fly-in are now up at:
>SNIP<

fiancee Maria.

~Ralph[/quote]

DID everyone notice that last part????

Best wishes to both!

cragin
brianvh

Fly-in pictures

Post by brianvh »

I extracted you from repetitive sled-tows? My memory's not that good,
but I seem to remember boating around in light lift right after
release when I looked over and saw you ABOVE me.
So of course I came over to investigate...

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Linda Baskerville wrote:

> I noticed that Ralph neatly excised my nose grinding pirouette that I lan=
ded somewhere in those 8 tows which Brian V-H kindly extracted me from!=A0 =
Thanks Ralph for not showing it J=A0 Even though it happened L
> =A0
hang_pilot

Fly-in pictures

Post by hang_pilot »

Yeah, I forgot to congratulate Linda on her 40 minute flat-land soaring
flight. I think you probably did that earlier in your flying career
than I did! Way to go!

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 6:12 PM
Subject: RE: Fly-in pictures

I extracted you from repetitive sled-tows? My memory's not that good,
but I seem to remember boating around in light lift right after
release when I looked over and saw you ABOVE me.
So of course I came over to investigate...

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Linda Baskerville wrote:

> I noticed that Ralph neatly excised my nose grinding pirouette that I
lan=
ded somewhere in those 8 tows which Brian V-H kindly extracted me
from!=A0 =
Thanks Ralph for not showing it J=A0 Even though it happened L
> =A0

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
Scott

Post by Scott »

Ralph, all your shots represent an awesome "landing technique" gallery. It would be great if someone (who knows more than I do) went through and picked out a series of landing shots---it looks as though Ralph got one of every possible good/bad thing in landing! Could be a great educational tool.

Scott
breezyk1d

landings

Post by breezyk1d »

Brian;
Only one of my 8 landings was a nose grinder, but you came to extract me and helped me get the kite righted again. I believe you were already sun stroked by then, cause otherwise I would not have been able to out-"durate" you on the time aloft....which was an awfully fun flight, wasn't it? With awesome lift! And it has taken me a year plus a month to get to the thermalling point, so it's not as if it hasn't taken me a long time. -Linda B.
hang_pilot

Fly-in pictures

Post by hang_pilot »

Hi, Matthew!
?
Of course I agree you can be too prone, but I’m not a fan of fully upright…please don’t take back my 3 J ?
?
I was drawn to the idea of going fully upright on final for the safety idea of not approaching terror (very) firma in something near battering ram position.? Unfortunately, I found my landings got worse implementing this.? When I encountered turbulence whilst upright my legs sometimes flailed.? Other times, they would swing too far forward when I flared aggressively.
?
I believe that a body position with shoulders a little ahead of hips makes landing on my feet easier.? I’m more in control and the legs come right in under me when I flare.?
I also think a semi-prone position increases flare authority (gets the pecs involved in addition to delts and tri’s).?
?
Totally agree on hand position…shoulder level.? ?
?
I feel like I’ve been talking too much, so I’m going to sit on my hands for a bit. ?
?
Did I mention that I flew for nearly 3 hours yesterday? J
?
Good night everyone!
Daniel
?
P.S.? Kells agrees with me on this.
?
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 4:46 PM
?

Matthew

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
?
hang_pilot

Fly-in pictures

Post by hang_pilot »

On last comment tonight:
?
CONGRATULATIONS RALPH AND MARIA!
?
~Daniel
?
?
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 5:40 PM
?
Unkonw #10.. Blue Stealth with yellow right wing tip is Mike Chevalier
rs54263 wrote:Pictures from Saturday at the Fly-in are now up at:
>SNIP<

fiancee Maria.

~Ralph

DID everyone notice that last part????

Best wishes to both!

cragin

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
?
John Simon

Fly-in pictures

Post by John Simon »

Best I recall there are some congrats which are appropriate for this weekend at Highland...
?
Linda B!!!? Zowie!!?? Numero Uno, the big Cahuna in Spot landing AND in Duration!!!!? A two-fer.? Nice
PK:? Number one in open distance... crosses the Delaware!? (Canal)
Lauren:? Number 2 in open distance?
?
Nice work all.?? And a bunch of fun too.
?
John?
?
?
?
?
?-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 7:20 PM

Brian;
Only one of my 8 landings was a nose grinder, but you came to extract me and helped me get the kite righted again. I believe you were already sun stroked by then, cause otherwise I would not have been able to out-"durate" you on the time aloft....which was an awfully fun flight, wasn't it? With awesome lift! And it has taken me a year plus a month to get to the thermalling point, so it's not as if it hasn't taken me a long time. -Linda B.

Matthew

landings

Post by Matthew »

Hi Daniel,

That's an interesting point. I'd like to hear some instructors chime in on this subject on landings. It's really hard to get fully upright to land. But in my glider I'm on my belly unless I get fairly upright before landing. When I screw up I'm a flopper, not a whacker. From your post, you sound like a whacker :)

As to Kells, he also said that it would be impossible to build a smaller VG glider for small pilots. No way. It will never happen!!! And when WW did, he said that it would have small downtubes for the hands of small pilots. Have you looked at the downtubes on the small Sport 2? They are twice as large as on older model WW gliders.

Matthew
Scott

Post by Scott »

Now that I'm flying (and landing) again, I had a bit of an epiphany (which might be in the "no-duh" category)...regardless of my body angle, I realized that if I just round out higher, it gives me more time to flare and land well. When I round out ultra-low (basetube 2' from the ground)...well...I'd darn well better POP my flare at exactly the right moment or I'm bellying in. Rounding out 4-6' above the ground just seems to stretch time and give me more breathing space to feel that just-right moment of energy decay.

Scott
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

Maybe its just me, but I make the decision on whether to go upright or stay proned out depending on condtions and turbulence. If it is a very calm LZ, I have no problem getting out of my harness early and flying the approach. When it gets rowdy, I tend to pull up my knee to put my foot at the V of the zipper & stay proned out longer, because I feel I have more control with one hand on the basetube and one hand on the downtube in the prone position. Since I usually carry more speed onto final when its turbulent, once I get down into ground effect and things stabilize, I can pull out both legs and go upright. Not sure if its all in my mind, but I feel more in "Control" and able to make rapid corrections when prone than when I'm upright on the basetube.

Batman
brianvh

Fly-in pictures

Post by brianvh »

The sheer number of double meanings in here is truly breathtaking.
I shall demur to the batman.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Matthew wrote:
>
> When I screw up I'm a flopper, not a whacker.
> From your post, you sound like a whacker :)
>
brianvh

Fly-in pictures

Post by brianvh »

If you come into the Hyner field at mid-afternoon, people will come up to
you and express deep concern if you go upright too early. Very poppy
field, much speed is needed.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, batmanh3 wrote:

> Maybe its just me, but I make the decision on whether to go upright or stay proned out depending on condtions and turbulence. If it is a very calm LZ, I have no problem getting out of my harness early and flying the approach. When it gets rowdy, I tend to pull up my knee to put my foot at the V of the zipper & stay proned out longer, because I feel I have more control with one hand on the basetube and one hand on the downtube in the prone position. Since I usually carry more speed onto final when its turbulent, once I get down into ground effect and things stabilize, I can pull out both legs and go upright. Not sure if its all in my mind, but I feel more in "Control" and able to make rapid corrections when prone than when I'm upright on the basetube.
>
> BatmanChristopher
Matthew

Going upright

Post by Matthew »

Brian,

I'm not talking about going upright early. I'm talking about going upright. Just moving your hands to the DTs is not going upright. When I do it right I bring one hand up and go into turb landing approach at about the point where I round out. I pull back in slightly to keep my speed and bring my hips forward. And then I bring my second hand up, hold to keep the speed and then ALLOW the glider to slow to trim. Then just before flaring I bring my hands up to my shoulders and push the glider up and behind me and not out and away from me. I do this the right way about 2/3 of the time.

Matthew
brianvh

Fly-in pictures

Post by brianvh »

Thanks -I always needed advice about how to avoid premature uprightness.
I didn't realize hip motion was part of the technique.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Matthew wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I'm not talking about going upright early. I'm talking about going upright. Just moving your hands to the DTs is not going upright. When I do it right I bring one hand up and go into turb landing approach at about the point where I round out. I pull back in slightly to keep my speed and bring my hips forward. And then I bring my second hand up, hold to keep the speed and then ALLOW the glider to slow to trim. Then just before flaring I bring my hands up to my shoulders and push the glider up and behind me and not out and away from me. I do this the right way about 2/3 of the time.
>
> Matthew
rs54263

Fly-in pictures

Post by rs54263 »

>>I do this the right way about 2/3 of the time. Matthew

But apparently, he's shy about doing it correctly when there's a camera
on him... ;-)

~Ralph
brianvh

Fly-in pictures

Post by brianvh »

If I have it right, he first puts his hands at the bottom of the downtube,
then moves his hips, then moves his hands clear up to his shoulders?!

I don't think I'd be able to do that camera or not.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Ralph Sickinger (R2) wrote:

>
> >>I do this the right way about 2/3 of the time. Matthew
>
> But apparently, he's shy about doing it correctly when there's a camera
> on him... ;-)
>
> ~Ralph
>
>
>
>
>
dbodner

Fly-in pictures

Post by dbodner »

Rounding out 2' AGL sounds awfully low to me.? I tend to go upright quite a bit higher (though I'll heed BVH's advice at Hyner this weekend.? Yay! I'm going to Hyner!), and I'm rounding out with my feet about 3' AGL.? If the field is poppy, I'll have one hand on the basetube to pull in extra hard before roundout.? Then again, I do land weird.
On Jun 28, 2005, at 8:05 AM, Scott wrote:
Now that I'm flying (and landing) again, I had a bit of an epiphany (which might be in the "no-duh" category)...regardless of my body angle, I realized that if I just round out higher, it gives me more time to flare and land well. When I round out ultra-low (basetube 2' from the ground)...well...I'd darn well better POP my flare at exactly the right moment or I'm bellying in. Rounding out 4-6' above the ground just seems to stretch time and give me more breathing space to feel that just-right moment of energy decay.Scott
rs54263

Fly-in pictures

Post by rs54263 »

Ok all; I've just discovered that I'm running out of space for pictures
on my website (ok, I guess I knew that was coming before too long...)
so I'm going to have to start pulling last year's photos.

One thing that I've also decided to do is to start including a
"00.favorites" folder for each outing; this folder will contain the
pictures that I think are the best or most dramatic images of the lot;
things that I might use for a newsletter cover or for the calendar next
year. The images in that folder are scaled a little larger, but they
are not separated by pilot, and there generally are no complete
sequences in there either. My eventual plan is to remove the general
photos sooner, while still leaving the favorites.

Because of this, if you see an image that you think is particularly
nice for some reason, and it isn't in the favorites, by all means bring
it to my attention!

I've just finished establishing the favorites folders for the East
Coast Championships and the Flatlands Fly-in:

http://photos.sickinger.net/ecc05/00.fa ... index.html
http://photos.sickinger.net/20050625_ri ... index.html

~Ralph
Paul Tjaden

Fly-in pictures

Post by Paul Tjaden »

Thanks for the cool pictures, Ralph!