Missing pilot in Pittsburgh?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Anyone know anything about this???

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 46838.html

Or is it just confusion on the part of the media?

Matthew
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Hi, Pete-
?
Can you please confirm for us that Daedalus isn’t missing anyone (see the article link below)?
?
Best,
Daniel from CHGPA
?
?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 11:50 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Missing pilot in Pittsburgh?
?
Anyone know anything about this???

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/newssummary/s_346838.html

Or is it just confusion on the part of the media?

Matthew

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
?
Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
Scott

Post by Scott »

I certainly hope nobody is missing....but from the wording of the article, a neighbor reported seeing a glider "disappear behind a stand of trees." This sounds like it could easily have been someone who simply landed beyond some trees...and an uneducated witness assumed they crashed.

Scott
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

That was my take, too.
~Daniel
?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 3:54 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Missing pilot in Pittsburgh?
?
I certainly hope nobody is missing....but from the wording of the article, a neighbor reported seeing a glider "disappear behind a stand of trees." This sounds like it could easily have been someone who simply landed beyond some trees...and an uneducated witness assumed they crashed.

Scott

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
?
Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
lplehmann

False Alarm

Post by lplehmann »

Hi,
No, neither the Daedalus nor any other club is missing a pilot, and I ought to know. I was the subject of that article. John Fenner and I had very short XCs from Templeton at the conclusion of which I landed at a nursing home across from a main highway, US 422. I was easily visible from the road, and in no way "disappearing behind a tree line". As I was flying the Falcon I was broken down and in the bag by the time Fred Booher was there to pick me up half an hour after landing. By that time no alarm had been raised, and there was no sign of cops, rescue crews or a helicopter.

It's not the first time that I've had wuffos call in an xc landing of mine as a "crash". People watch too much damn "reality" tv and are just itching for some drama in their little lives.

Pete

ps We went back to the hill and flew again. I then went 57 miles on the Falcon. I picked a golf course at which to land as I dearly wanted a couple of beers during what was going to be a long wait for a retrieve. But I had mistakenly chosen the only dry golf course on earth. Now that was a newsworthy item.
Pete Lehmann
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Too damn funny. I suggest you contact the reporter with your revision of
what is newsworthy. If they have any sense of humor they'll print it.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, lplehmann wrote:

>
> ps We went back to the hill and flew again. I then went 57 miles on the Falcon. I picked a golf course at which to land as I dearly wanted a couple of beers during what was going to be a long wait for a retrieve. But I had mistakenly chosen the only dry golf course on earth. Now that was a newsworthy item.Pete Lehmann
CraginS

Re: False Alarm

Post by CraginS »

Pete,
The national list on yahoo groups has picked this one up, too.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HangGlide/message/55738

Could you please post your tale there, or give me the OK to repeat your story below on that list for you?u?

Thanks

Cragin SHelton

[quote="lplehmann"]Hi,
No, neither the Daedalus nor any other club is missing a pilot, and I ought to know. I was the subject of that article. John Fenner and I had very short XCs from Templeton at the conclusion of which I landed at a nursing home across from a main highway, US 422. I was easily visible from the road, and in no way "disappearing behind a tree line". As I was flying the Falcon I was broken down and in the bag by the time Fred Booher was there to pick me up half an hour after landing. By that time no alarm had been raised, and there was no sign of cops, rescue crews or a helicopter.

It's not the first time that I've had wuffos call in an xc landing of mine as a "crash". People watch too much damn "reality" tv and are just itching for some drama in their little lives.

Pete

ps We went back to the hill and flew again. I then went 57 miles on the Falcon. I picked a golf course at which to land as I dearly wanted a couple of beers during what was going to be a long wait for a retrieve. But I had mistakenly chosen the only dry golf course on earth. Now [u]that[/u] was a newsworthy item.[/quote]