XC Tracer

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mingram

XC Tracer

Post by mingram »

This is generating a lot of buzz (pun intended). People are reporting personal best flights and are loving the instant feedback the vario gives. People are reporting it's easier to core lighter lift and determine where the lift stops better than traditional varios. Mauer supposedly flew the XAlps with it.

"XC Tracer is an advanced flight instrument for paragliders, using data from an 9-DOF IMU, from a pressure sensor and from a GPS to compute the real time climb rate and altitude, avoiding the undesired time lag that conventional variometers have due to data filtering. The GPS provides also real time flight speed and direction. All the relevant information is then packed together in a custom NMEA like data string and sent over a Bluetooth Low Energy module to an iOS or Android tablet or phone. And of course the variometer indicates the climb / sink rate with beeping tones. It is very easy to fly in thermals with XC Tracer, since what you feel and what the variometer indicates do perfectly match."

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/xc-tracer/

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=70588
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
MikeB

Re: XC Tracer

Post by MikeB »

I like the fast response vario idea (only 330 eu). and thought it would be a possible input to the Go Fly V4 instrument (saw one at Tater Hill used by Mert Kacmaz. Here is the answer to my question to GoFly: "Is anything gained by using the XC Tracer Vario/GPS as partial input for the V4 display?"

Go Fly Instruments hmm, this is my personal opinion. XCtracer is using PA6h gps modules (known for not the best performance in this price range, You can do better here), I already saw complaints about altitude issues. I am using currently GPS/Glonass modules. It also uses weaker baro sensor and two years old IMU sensor which requires calibration(there are better ones). Not sure why they went with ancient technology designing beeper for over 350$. If You need some help how to connect xctracer into v4 drop me pm please.

Thoughts for instrument geeks!
Cheers, Mike
mingram

Re: XC Tracer

Post by mingram »

I hadn't heard of the Go Fly, but e-ink with XCSoar, super strong GPS and vario and long battery life sound awesome. Very interested! Thanks Mike!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu