Trip West 2005

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Spark

Trip West 2005

Post by Spark »

6/17/05 7:00am ET - Missouri, I-70 mile marker 139.

Internet connectivity on the road has been decent.

I set up a script to pull down the ADDS progcharts and wind forecast GIFs and stage them in a folder for sequenced viewing. It takes about 5 minutes to download progcharts and winds for 6k to 18k.

the script looks something like:

Code: Select all

move winds\06k*.* winds\save

ECHO Getting 6k Winds
WGET http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/data/winds/ruc00hr_800_wind.gif
WGET http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/data/winds/ruc09hr_800_wind.gif
WGET http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/data/winds/ruc12hr_800_wind.gif

Based on Saturday's 'cast (and feedback from Mike C), we are headed for Salida, CO to fly Villa Grove.

Here are some photos of the site.
http://community.webshots.com/album/340876686XpbJBO

I'll try to get some photos from the air. More later.
[/quote]
'Spark
Spark

Trip West 2005 - Day 1 flight report

Post by Spark »

6/19/05 11:16am US40 mile marker 164

No Internet connectivity. We made it into Denver by 5pm on Friday (about 26 hours) and visited Tim Denton, who assisted us in modifying the motorcycle rack so we could get in and out of the truck more easily.

Based on web forum messages from http:/www.rmhpa.org the Rocky Mountain Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, We cancelled our plans to go to Villa Grove. I spoke with a pilot who was willing to sponsor us on a flight from Steamboat Springs ski area, so we headed in that direction, arriving Saturday morning. Unfortunately, our sponsor did not arrive as planned, so we back-tracked an hour to Willams, a site overlooking Green Mountain reservoir on route 9 between Silverthorne and Kremmling.

Williams has two launches. The upper launch is at 10,200 msl, 2200 feet above the LZ. Arriving at the LZ (by the reservoir), we met several Denver-area pilots who had already flown, left the motorcycle and headed to the top with our new friends. Conditions had improved and several pilots flew. As we began to set up, winds began to cross and
increase, so we waited for conditions to improve. Finally, a local decided to fly, so we 'suited up' and prepared to launch.

Bruce was first off and immediately was able to get above launch, eventually climbing to over 15000'msl. Other pilots (including me) were not so fortunate and most of us felt happy to be safe in the LZ. I encountered strong turbulence from the spines to the N of launch and encountered extended periods of sink exceeding 1000fpm down. I made it to the LZ with a few hundred feet and made a no-stepper
landing at 8000'msl.

As we folded our wings, I could hear Bruce on the radio, complaining that he could not lose altitude. He reported that he was able get down to 12.5k, but was unable to prevent climbing back above 14k. The winds in the LZ had switched 180 degrees and were blowing from the NE (towards the reservoir). Eventually, after strenuous effort, Bruce was able to descend below 11k and finally landed with us, making an an approach
over the water and executing a perfect no-step landing, a few feet from water's edge.

We camped on top that night, but decided to drive north towards Crawford Mt near Randolph Utah. We are currently enroute.

Photos at - http://community.webshots.com/album/370938176uzSaIf

More later.
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

6/19/05 11:40pm - Salt Lake City

We drove to Randolph, Utah to find millions of mosquitos (think West Nile Virus) and winds that were 45 degrees cross and quite strong, so we headed to the Point of the Mountain. Dave Gibson was soaring the hill in when we arrived and several other pilots were ready to launch. Winds were 20+ and cross from the W. I spent some time chatting with Dave Beardsley, who is also planning on attending the King Mountain meet.

Bruce flew his U2 for awhile and made a nice landing on top. He offered to let me fly it and I couldn't refuse. After I launched, conditions changed ... winds got lighter and more westerly. After getting trashed by rotor at the west end of the ridge, I was able to scrape myself up from below launch and top-landed the U2 :) Winds died even more and the other three HG pilots who were flying landed below.

I pulled out my PG and managed to squeak a short flight in, top landed, kited and relaunched, finally landing below.

Not a stellar day, but we flew and soared for awhile.

We will camp on the south side of the Point and I plan to fly my new Falcon Tandem in the morning. We may head up to King afterward.

I've posted photos of the point at http://community.webshots.com/album/370938176uzSaIf

More later.
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

Fantastic trip report postings and photos 'Spark! We're living your trip vicariously through every word. Keep 'em coming! :)

Scott
Spark

Post by Spark »

6/20/2005 10:56am - Salt Lake City, Utah

I awakened early and assembled the Tandem Falcon at about 7am. Winds were 10-13, but didn't build as I expected. I made a few passes and landed below, a no-stepper. Bruce took some photos.

http://community.webshots.com/album/370938176uzSaIf

Right now we are headed to Lowes to buy a drill bit. My tip wand got stuck on my *new wing* and I had to cut it off (with a file). I'll swap ends, but still need to drill the hole. I hate making repairs on a new wing after my first flight and perfect landing : ( One tip wand will be 1.5" shorter. Don't tell anyone.,

We will probably head N to Moore, Idaho and King Mountain today.

More later.
'Spark
rs54263

Trip West 2005

Post by rs54263 »

>> ( One tip wand will be 1.5" shorter. Don't tell anyone.

Seems like you should be able to fix that with some duct tape. ;-)

~Ralph
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Wow Spark, that's quite the wing! Have a great time, and KEEP SENDING THE PICS! Shawn.
Spark

Post by Spark »

Tuesday, 6/21/2005 - 3:49pm - Moore Idaho
We drove from Salt Lake City to Moore Idaho on Monday. The King meet organizers have provided a very useful CD with annotated aerial photos of the four XC routes used during the competition. On the way to Moore, we followed Route 4 and visited the 'Bonus LZs' along the route. You get extra points for landing at a Bonus LZ (and it is safer).

I took photos along the way. There are some pretty spectacular views around here. When we arrived in Moore at meet headquarters (the town park), the shower truck had already been set up! After 4 days on the road, it was a welcome sight.

This morning, we headed up the mountain so I could get an early PG flight, but winds were blowing from the east. I took a bunch of photos from the King upper and lower launches, and from the Coyote launch across the canyon.

We have a cold front approaching, so weather will be sketchy for awhile. I am hoping to get an evening flight, weather permitting. The meet starts tomorrow morning.

We actually have internet connectivity in Moore!.

Photos for yesterday and today are at http://community.webshots.com/album/370938176uzSaIf

More later.
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

Wednesday, 6/22/2005 - 12:25am - Moore, Idaho

Today was the first day of the King Mtn. Meet. The forecast was for bad weather to the south, so the they called a 'Route 1', which takes you northward from Moore eventually to Anaconda, Montana.

There are 74 pilots registered for the meet and it seemed like they were all at launch. We shared drivers and radio frequencies with a group of 8 pilots.

Bruce and I launched later in the pack, at about 2pm local time. We both made it to over 12K at King, and down range towards the town of Mackay. I lost more altitude while crossing a large gap and was not in a good position to get up on the other side. After two failed attempts to cross, I finally decided to give in and land near our driver, who waited below patiently. I landed in WNW winds at 20 to 25mph. I flew for two hours, but only made it 13.4 miles. It was one of the more difficult flights I have had at King.

Bruce continued on, gaining altitude to over 14k to the little town of May, Idaho for a flight of 62 miles. This involved flying downwind over a mountain range with a 30 knot tailwind.

I drove retrieve for Bruce and others in our group.

We heard that a pilot tumbled today and recovered without deploying a chute. He did sustain a damaged (we heard broken) down tube, but managed to descend and land without injury. For the Dr. Jack's fans, we heard that the Bouyancy to Shear (B/S) ratio was 4 today. Put simply, it means we got our 'butts kicked'.

On the drive back to Moore, we saw some elk and a family of wild turkeys.

I took a bunch of photos and posted them in a new album at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/376686676KPYEBL

More later.
'Spark
Paul Tjaden

Trip West 2005

Post by Paul Tjaden »

You Guys be careful out there.?Just because the?safety committee is too stupid to call the day due to tough conditions, doesn't mean you have to fly.
?
But congratulations to both of you and especially Bruce for the 60 miler.
?
Paul
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

Great pictures Spark! Be safe out there.

C
Spark

Re: Trip West 2005

Post by Spark »

The safety committee is comprised of some very experienced and safety-conscious individuals. If you want to avoid the worst of the rough air , you avoid the terrain that generates it. The only way to be truly safe is to not fly.
Paul Tjaden wrote:You Guys be careful out there. Just because the safety committee is too stupid to call the day due to tough conditions, doesn't mean you have to fly.

But congratulations to both of you and especially Bruce for the 60 miler.

Paul
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

Thursday, 6/23/2005 - 8:05pm - Moore, Idaho

Today they called Route 3, which is over the back towards Wyoming. Winds were much less at altitude, about 20mph from the WSW. Several pilots landed after seeing towering Qs and low cloudbases downwind.

Conditions improved and cloudbase had lifted by the time I launched. I worked up to base at 11.5k msl and flew around for awhile, but I didn't think it was high enough over the mountain to turn and run, so I flew five miles upwind and boated around until the sky to the north started to overdevelop, landing in the LZ after a little more than an hour. Winds were about 20mph out of the S when I landed. I forgot to mention it yesterday, but I have been flying a demo Wills Wing U2 160 and I have really enjoyed it.

Bruce launched while I was in the air and had a similar flight. Fortunately, the group we flew with was all accounted for and picked up, so we didn't need to help with retrieve. I took some photos, but I will probably not post them until I get some aerial shots tomorrow.

We heard more from the guy who tumbled. He actually bent a downtube (on a Talon 150) about 60 degrees, 10 inches from the apex - and was still able to fly the wing. He could only turn one direction, because the front and rear wires on one side were slack. He kept the bar in to keep the front wires tight and made turns in one direction every time he could find sink. It took him over a half hour to get down from 13k msl and he landed in a 20+ mph headwind. This morning he put the glider together again and it is flyable. Many of his battens were bent from the tumble. Pretty scary stuff.

More later.
'Spark
Paul Tjaden

Trip West 2005

Post by Paul Tjaden »

In a message dated 6/23/2005 11:01:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, BagPipeFlyer@hotmail.com writes:
The safety committee is comprised of some very experienced and safety-conscious individuals. If you want to avoid the worst of the rough air , you avoid the terrain that generates it. The only way to be truly safe is to not fly.

That's cool Spark. Just got a little concerned when you wrote about a glider tumbling and you guys Flying in 30 mph winds. I've never flown out west so don't know what is OK and what isn't.
?
Paul
Spark

Post by Spark »

Saturday, 6/25/2005 - 9:20am - Moore, Idaho

On Friday I flew the PG from Coyote in the a.m. Nice sled ride.

Today, they called route 2, which is towards the NE and Dell Montana.

I elected to launch a bit later than many others, thinking it would get better later. It turns out that launching earlier would have been better, since we had some overdevelopment. I flew the Moyes CSX. When I launched, a thermal-gust rocked into a 45 degree right-hand bank, and I oscillated a few times before I could get that wing stabilized. I think I am ready to retire the wing. It is a handful to fly and I'm not sure I have the time to invest in mastering it. Anyway, I was able to get up to 11.9k msl and flew around enjoying the view and trying to get higher for the jump over the back. Tstorms were forming along the courseline to the N and I saw several lightning strikes. Rain was falling in several areas about 25 miles away. I didn't want to be anywhere near them. I decided to fly about 5 miles upwind and landed near King Mtn. Gliders, Alan Paylor's place. Winds were 15 gusting to 20+m when I landed. I packed up and hitched a ride to the park.

Bruce was going to join me, but one of our group was having trouble communicating with chase, so he went back to the mountain and worked back up over the top so he could be radio relay. He got high enough to jump to an upwinf street and went back in a position further away from the storms, landing in the valley behind. He caught a ride with the other pilot.

I am hoping for better weather today ... I would like to score a few more points.

Gary arrives in Boise tomorrow.

I have more photos, but I won't post them until Sunday.

More later.
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

Saturday, 6/25/2005 - 11:37pm - Moore, Idaho

In my last post (this morning), I spoke of flying for Friday, 6/24, but mistakenly said 'today'.

Today (Saturday), they task committee selected route 3, towards Henry's Lake Idaho. We didn't have a driver today. Winds were predicted to be strong on the surface, and they were. Late afternoon overdevelopment was predicted, so everyone launched a but earlier than on Friday.

I flew Bruce's Laminar MRX. We launched within about 5 minutes of each other. I had to work for awhile to get above 11k. Because I didn't plan on going XC, I left my oxygen in the truck, so I didn't stay long above 11k. I flew out to Coyote and back to the mountain a couple of times, working my way from 9k back to about 12k. I eventually flew out in the valley and landed near town. Bruce got a bit higher (12.5k) and recorded 2400fpm (instantaneous) on his new flytec 5030 vario. I was too busy holding on to look at my vario much. Bruce landed at the LZ and caught a ride back up for the truck. I hitched a ride to the park and cooled off in the shade.

The town had a breakfast for the participants this morning and a steak/chicken dinner for us this evening. Tomorrow is the last day of the meet. A cold front is approaching, so the potential for great flying on Sunday is slim. I want to try to do a PG flight in the morning, and one more HG flight before we leave for Boise to pick up Gary.

More later.
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

6/27/2005 - Lakeview Oregon

The last day of the King meet was Sunday. I took an early morning PG sledride in smooth conditions.

During the 9am pilots meeting, we learned that Tstorms were forecasted for the afternoon. Most pilots went up the mountain. We stayed at the park and broke camp, preparing for the impending bad weather.

Before 2pm, the task committee called off the competition. The sky was dark to the N with many towering Qs. Amazingly, pilots still chose to launch. Some launched with the intention of flying out to land, and (amazingly) a few went over the back to fly XC.

We finished loading gliders and went to the LZ to pick up the motorcycle, in time to see many pilots landing in strong S winds. One made the mistake of making 360's downwind of the LZ and then instead of choosing a downwind field, barely made it over the powerlines. Not much later, winds switched 180 degrees as cold air descended ahead of the downburst.

A visiting pilot from Vermont offered me a deal on a glider he had purchased at the meet, an Enterprise Wings Desire 151, in excellent condition. I bought it to have a kingposted glider to fly until I get back.

Back at the park, Bruce and I assisted with the BBQ, in preparation for the awards ceremony. A hail storm descended on us and pelted me as I grilled the chicken. When the sky finally cleared, there was a fresh dusting of snow on the peaks of King mountain. We departed soon after the awards and headed to Boise to pick up Gary.

From Boise, we drove through the night to Lakeview Oregon.

As I write this, we are awaiting information on parts for Bruce's truck. We have a clutch/transmission problem and may not fly until we get it resolved.

I posted a bunch of new photos in a new album at Webshots.

I'll post another trip report when we finally get back to flying.

More later
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

Wednesday, 6/29/200, 10:41pm - Lakeview, Oregon

This morning Mark Webber came over to our campsite and took us on a tour to two sites. A visiting pilot from Santa Cruz named Eric came along. We started off at Doherty Slide, a W-facing 1000' high volcanic ridge located about 60 miles east of Lakeview. Winds were light and cross from the N. I took a short flight in my PG, launching in about 45 degrees cross. Thermals were small and punchy, due to the high pressure.

Afterward, we headed to Tague's Butte, a 2000' AGL site located adjacent to the Abert Rim, a 25 miles long WNW-facing 2500' lava ridge N of Lakeview. I flew Bruce's Falcon 225 and launched first. Thermals were small and punchy. I managed to extend my flight for awhile before landing below at the Simms ranch. Bruce did better in his U2, and eventually joined me in the LZ, as did Gary and finally Eric, in his new Laminar Zero-something.

As I write this, we are enjoying dinner at a mexican restaurant in Lakeview. Bruce's truck is still in the shop, but it looks like they may have it wrapped up by tomorrow.

I have posted photos of Doherty Slide and Tague's Butte/Abert Rim at

http://community.webshots.com/album/380164720XavehV/0

More Later.
'Spark
Spark

Friday, 7/1/2005 - 9am - Lakeview Oregon

Post by Spark »

Friday, 7/1/2005 - 9am - Lakeview Oregon

Yesterday (Thursday) we went to Sugar Hill, a SW-facing 2000' vertical mountain about 28 miles south of Lakeview, Oregon. We grouped with several pilots and hired a local driver. I launched in a bad cycle, then had a low save out front and gained back above launch, but lost it while battling for the core with another pilot. I eventually landed in the LZ below and was joined by Gary and the other pilot. Bruce came out to join us, but hooked one and went to 12k, flying Northward along I-395 almost to Lakeview (about 25 miles). Other pilots who launched earlier made it farther; an Atos pilot made it all the way to Abert Rim.

Afterward, we flew Black cap. When we arrived, we learned that a PG pilot had suffered a collapse there while flying mid-day and had impacted the hill, sustaining a back and head injury. Later, we learned that the pilot will recover

without surgery or permanent disability. I flew Bruce's Falcon 225 and soared briefly before winds shifted N and flushed me. Gary flew and jumped the gap to the N, extending his flight for over 30 minutes. Some Paraglider pilots

launched and were staying several hundred over, so I begged a ride back to the top and launched my PG. I was able to cross a few gaps, eventually landing (again) next to the tent at the campground.

Today is the first day of the "Lakeview Umpteenth Festival of Free Flight" and I am hanging out at the chamber of commerce using their WIFI access point. Pilots are arriving to register for the event. We are planning to fly the Lakeview area today, then head to Salt Lake City.

I have posted some photos of Black Cap at http://community.webshots.com/album/380164720XavehV

More Later.
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

Saturday, July 2, 2005 - Draper Utah

Yesterday (Friday) we went to Sugar Hill and I drove for Bruce and Gary. Both of them had XC flights. Bruce cut hist flight short, as he was eager to make the mechanics aware of some problems with his truck caused by during the recent repairs. Bottom line is, we do not have 4-wheel drive ...

Afterward, we went to Doherty Slide, near the Oregon/Nevada border. Gary and I flew the evening glassoff, after winds subsided from 35+. We got nearly 2k over and I took many photos from the air.

Afterward, we drove straight thru to Draper, Utah, arriving at the Point of the Mountain by about 5:30AM. I flew the PG while Gary and Bruce slept, bagging nearly two hours and umpteen flights with on-top landings and lots of kiting. We met several of the pilots we had flown with at King Mountain. I took the camera up with me and took many pix, while dodging PG tandems, HGs doing wingovers, and RC planes. Lotsa fun. I'm kinda tired now ...

Right now we are trying to decide were we will make our last flights before the 36-hour non-stop drive home. I'm pitching for the North side of the Point, Bruce and Gary want to fly Inspiration Point.

As soon as I can hit a hot spot, I will upload the 90+ photos from the last three days.

More Later.
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

Saturday, 7/2/2005 - 7pm, Salt Lake City, Utah

We went to Inspiration Point today and watched some pilots fly. Two landed in the LZ and two went OTB. The sky started to OD, so no one else flew. We are heading back to Virginia this evening, expecting to arrive early on Monday morning.

I have posted photos from yesterday and today to a new album entitled "Trip West 2005 - 4"

http://community.webshots.com/album/384338652TbcuUF

I got some good aerial shots from over Doherty Slide on Friday, and some aerial shots while flying PG at "the Point".

I will probably send one more trip report with some highlights and trip stats. It has been a very productive and rewarding 2.5 weeks and we have met some good people. I am looking forward to getting home.
'Spark
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Thanks for the reports, and the pics of your trip Sparky. I hope to make such a trip One of these years soon. Shawn
Spark

Post by Spark »

Sunday, 7/3/2005, on Interstate 80 somewhere in eastern Iowa

I'm killing time while we drive home, and just tallied some sUmmary stats from the trip:

The trip began in the evening of June 16 and will end early on July 4th, a total of 19 days. We will have spent 4 days crossing the nation and 15 days flying. During that time I flew 15 consecutive days, which is a personal record. I flew five different Hang Gliders (including two different U2s, a Falcon 225, MRX, Falcon Tandem and CSX). I made 11 HG flights during 10 flying days, and accumulated 6.75 hours. These flights included a launch from above 10K msl, and a landing above 8k msl. I flew 15 flights in 9 days on PG for a total of 3.75 hours. 8 PG flights were made at Point of the Mountain.

In summary, it was a great trip. Although the weather was not ideal for XC, we were fortunate to have conditions suitable for flying and enjoying the magnificent scenery. Weather was mostly dry and cool. Although the vehicle problems were frustrating, we were really lucky to meet up with Mark Webber in Lakeview. Without his assistance, we would have been stuck in a campground for 3 days.

Each year for the past 5 years, we have made many new (and met many old) flying friends. The generosity and friendliness shown by fellow pilots is remarkable. This year, we were invited by several pilots to visit and fly their local sites in places such as coastal Oregon or central Montana.

Life in the air is good. Now, back to earth ... until next time.
'Spark