Radio

HG/PG gear to sell or to buy.

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

wmelo

Radio

Post by wmelo »

What brand / model would be the most recommendable for "waltable" pilots ? (Hg2) walt
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743
Dunegoon

Re: Radio

Post by Dunegoon »

Hi Walt,

I'll try to keep this brief. Most of us fly with 2 Meter radios. To legally operate these radios you must have a "technicians" HAM radio licence. The test is very easy especially if you use use online study aids like "Ham test online." The test is given by local HAM radio clubs in your area. I would recommend the Yaesu FT-252 for only about $75 from Ham Radio outlet. Bacil just got a radio that can also receive some aircraft frequencies which could also be useful for ATIS, tower, approach control etc. Not sure what brand or where he got it.

You will also eventually want a headset(speaker in your helmet) and push to talk switch to use all the capabilities of your radio.

This is also a suitable time for you to get a Washington sectional chart and learn about airspace, airports and navigation aids in the areas where we fly. It is good information and part of the H3 written.

AB3SF
Last edited by Dunegoon on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

link to radio:http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-001522

Sorry, this radio DOES NOT have a jack for a headset. :oops: Some pilots will mount a radio directly on their base tube. I do not advise this as it could injure you on a bad landing.

If you want to use a headset buy the Yaesu FT-250R or something similar. This radio has good battery life and is very durable.

Maybe this discussion should be moved to another area?
Last edited by Dunegoon on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Walt,

Any hand held 2 meter HAM radio will do, including the $75.00 one advertised on the Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) ad contained in the previous poster's link. However that particular radio is limited to a transmit power of 800 mw (milliwatts). Most of the somewhat more expensive two meter hand held radios (in the neighborhood of $150.00, offer three power settings ranging from about 300 mw to 5 watts (5,000 mw). 800 mw will be plenty for your air to air or air to launch site communications. Occasionally I've needed 5 watts to reach pilots when one of us is located outside cell coverage such as near the Skyline Drive or behind Woodstock and the other is on the ground nearby.

HRO probably will not sell you a ham radio without you demonstrating that you have fulfilled the requirements for a technician class license. Getting a technician license isn't all that difficult. It requires a little study and showing up to take one of the tests that are regularly held by HAM examiners. There are plenty of study guides on the net.

Dan T
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I think the reviews of the Yaesu 252 note that it doesn't have a headphone jack.
David Bodner
Dan T

Re: Radio -No headphone jack on the 252?

Post by Dan T »

Good catch Dave. The absence of a headphone jack would make the 252 a non-viable candidate in my book. I did notice that it appears to have 5 watts transmit power. The 800mw I referred to earlier was audio. Bottom line is lots of radios will do the job but it pays to look.

Dan
wmelo

push-to-talk

Post by wmelo »

Thank you everybody for the hints.
I ended up buying the Yaesu FT 252 as suggested by Charles.

Now, I need a push-to-talk.
The ones I found in the internet are very expensive: around $120.

Suggestions?

Walt
Walt Melo
walt.melo [at] gmail [dot] com
+1.804.walt.743