T2C maiden flight : Sun15Jun

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

T2C maiden flight : Sun15Jun

Post by markc »

A few people were interested in my reactions, so.....

I took delivery of my new T2C on the 4th, and wasn't able to fly it that weekend. So you can imagine that I was chomping at the bit this past weekend! I figured the best call would be Woodstock after the 'casts were ramped up at the Pulpit and HRock.... But wasn't thrilled about a landing in the main, for the very first flight.

Linked up with Gary, Steve and Randy. Discovered that the bridge field had just been planted while running a shuttle. Rats, might be the main after all....

Conditions were cross from the north and the slot was quite turbulent. A PG pilot launched first, then I gave it a go with help from Gary and Steve.

Bit of a pop from the right, more than I like. Corrected for it OK, though things were happening faster than usual, to be expected on that wing.

Conditions were fairly challenging : close in work was needed to stay up, and I am clearly not dialed in enough to try that. Thermalling was also challenging, given the very immediate response to pitch inputs. So I spent a far amount of time struggling to get up, not over control, and going "Aaackkkk!" every time I was pointed at the trees.

Eventually started doing better, and I topped out once at around 1900' over launch. Then headed south, started site-seeing, thinking about landing alternatives, playing a bit with the speed range.... And whoops! I was down at ridge top because of inattention.

Gave it a go at trying to get up again, would have been easy on the U2, but I just wasn't confident enough. Should have just headed straight out and tried for something over the LZ.

So great, into the primary, with thermals busting off.... "Gotta figure out how to land this wing sometime, guess it's going to be now!"

And it was actually a non-event. Paid close attention to sink rate and angles, not over-do on the airspeed, and leave some wiggle room for an extra turn. Didn't need it, and the flare was easy (had backed off to my old pod harness).

Good, though short, flight and looking forward to learning how to fly the new wing well. It will take a bit!

Some photos to follow....

MarkC
Last edited by markc on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markc

Re: T2C maiden flight : Sun15Jun

Post by markc »

No in-flight photos, so these from the LZ will have to do:
Attachments
IMG_20140614_144738_911.small.jpg
IMG_20140614_150140_793.small.jpg
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Sweet ship Mark.

I've seen them fly at Crestline/Marshall Calif. They are hot! You are gonna love it once you get dialed in I'm sure.

Dan
Pete Schumann

Post by Pete Schumann »

Aren't we just fancy dancy... :mrgreen: Cool looking bird there Mark

Pete
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Hell yeah, that wing is sick! Gabby says it looks like a dragonfly, I still see an alien :lol:
Looking forward to seeing it zooming around me 8)
Felix.
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Where did your top surface go? What they'll do to save $0.02! (jk)

Wrestling with thoughts about a 136... but then I'd actually have to get out and fly more.

Congrats.

Danny Brotto
rlweber

Post by rlweber »

My first glider was a rogallo. A beautiful bird like the T2 was science fiction! I look forward to watching you fly it
Randy
Keep Calm And Soar On
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Mark, glad you made the leap! One good thermal flight and you'll be dialed in for sure. Good choice on the C version, your sail will last a looooong time. Can't wait to how you are blazing the skies.
Bun
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Is this another picture of Mark's glider? Perhaps taken before its first test flight?

http://ozreport.com/1405430126
David Bodner
markc

Post by markc »

I want 5¢ per page click for my glider!!!!

Gotta defray the expense somehow...
*laughter*