Garmin 76s Question

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

hang_pilot

Garmin 76s Question

Post by hang_pilot »

The interface cable has a 9 pin connector. I no longer have a computer with a serial port. Anyone have a working solution? I found a USB cable online that seems appropriate (see link), but wanted to check in here before ordering.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Deluxe-GPS ... n+76+cable

Thanks!

~Daniel
bowen.tim

Re: Garmin 76s Question

Post by bowen.tim »

I use a USB-to-Serial cable frequently in my job. The cable described in the Amazon link appears to replace your old serial (9-pin) cable with a USB cable. I think you have two options, buy the Garmin cable from Amazon, or buy a USB-to-Serial to mate with your existing cable. Either way, you have to buy a cable. Good Luck!
Tim Bowen
Finksburg, MD
four-four-three 821 five-0-one-5
MHGA Treasurer
George

Post by George »

I have used my old Garmins with the 9 pin serial connection and a usb to serial adapter with success. I've had trouble with a few cheapos but the name brand ones have worked fine. In most cases you will have to load a driver in your computer to use the adapter.

George
callen

Post by callen »

My advice is to buy a good serial to usb adapter. I purchased a generic and it didn't work so I ended up buying 2.