Flying in Germany

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

RedBaron

Flying in Germany

Post by RedBaron »

Dear all,

god, it's been so long and there are so many new names here that I can't put faces to. Anyway, thought I would let you guys know I'm still alive and almost 4 years after leaving the states I'm still trying to get back to where I left off HG-wise. John Dullahan told me that flying in Germany would be nothing like the East coast and that was a massive undertstatement.

The weather: It sucks most of the time. Germany predominantly sees West winds which means lot's of mositure and clouds from the Atlantic ocean. It's a dark, wet country compared to the East coast that benefits so much from the continental climate. Winter starts in September and this year it lasted until end of May. I am sure you will find thermals during that time on some sunny vertical mountain cliff in the Alps, but they are a long drive away for anyone who does not live in a Region that may make up 5% of Germany.

The culture: So different from what I am used to. HG is dying compared to PG, and there are little clubs everywhere which aren't organized very well, at least not on the internet. It's been incredibly hard finding people who hang glide. The only forum I know is the one on the DHV (German HG and PG association) site and it's all but dead. No such thing as this site. The Clubs / sites are small, non-commercial so it all works on a good will / voluntary basis. No such thing as Highland aerosports. You're lucky if you find someone who tows you once a day, your problem if you didn't find a thermal from 1500'. But I'm only beginning to understand how it works as I spent about two years fighting with the DHV on acknowledging at least part of my training and finding a school that would allow me to redo the German license fast-track so to speak. Most of them wouldn't even call back.

The support: One Moyes dealer for both Germany and Austria. Sells about 5 gliders per year, go figure, doesn't seem to care much about his HG customers. I presume because of the strong Icaro and A-I-R competition Moyes have given up on this region. They took a whole year to make and deliver a new sail with a lot of frustration, disappointmens and ridiculous extra costs on my end. Nothing like Moyes USA. It's a different world.

The flying: No dragonflies, you get towed behind trikes here. They are small, heavy and fly crazy fast. Long story short: I can't do it, not on the Litespeed. I have locked out twice in what I used to call benign air, it happenes so damn fast because the trike doesn't react to the air like a Dragonfly does. They slice through everything and you just don't see the thermal coming lifting your wing and throwing you off. It's also very hard for me to anticipate when the trike turns because they do it more subtle, like a HG and not like a real plane. To stay behind them I need plenty VG and fly with the base tube right where my belt would be. Now add a +4-year break, a safety funnel behind the trike that appears to be 10 feet in diameter, the lack of any well-organized tow place that will gradually move you into rougher air and the disaster is perfect. Today I locked out for now other reason than reacting too slowly with perhaps 300' ground clearance. I have never been so scared. These things are evil little f*ckers. Beyond my understanding how the others pull it off.

I wish I could boast about my 100-mile flights and how it all came beauttifully together. It ain't so. It's been 3 tough years. Despite all the DHV regulations, CE marks on every stupid little device and the need to get your glider recertified every two years or so I have never felt so unsafe. Is it going to stop me? F*ck no :mrgreen: They don't know what a crazy-ass pilot I am yet LOL. Hopefully it's not going to get me killed before I toss out my Litespeed and get an ATOS. They do make more sense here.

You guys have no idea how much I miss flying with you all. And, you have it so good on the East coast, it's HG paradise compared to this mess.

Best

Janni
#1 Rogue Pilot
Matthew

Re: Flying in Germany

Post by Matthew »

We miss you man!!!!

Matthew
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Janni,

Those of us who know what you did for us at the Pulpit think about you every time we fly it. There is also a whole new generation of PG pilots in our area who owe you our gratitude for what you did there. Without your efforts we couldn't fly it.

Thanks and come on back!

Dan T.
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

Good to hear from you Janni. Sucks that the flying is so bad in Germany. I still have your old 76s if you ever come back and need a gps. :)
Ashley Groves

Post by Ashley Groves »

Janni;

Good to hear from you! Wish you had better stories of the Alps or something. My flying has been spotty, but purely my fault with getting 3 kids. Our summer solitice at Woodstock riding the wave over the clouds is still one of my favorite and vivid flying memories.
Ashley Groves
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Janni!

I launched from your pad Saturday at Pulpit and flew to High Rock. Only had one man for wire crew, probably wouldn't have tried it on the ramp, so thanks for making that flight possible!

Man, I thought Germany was a paradise of blue skies, high peaks, and pretty hang gliding Flugbegleiter. Sorry to hear about your flying woes. Go visit Spain and post some pictures for us.

Cheers,
Daniel
jmcclave

Post by jmcclave »

My experience in Germany was a bit different.

I lived in the Stuttgart area in 2010 and 2011 and I learned to paraglide at the Wiesensteig ski hill between Stuttgart and Munich with Flugschule Goeppingen. I made a number of German paraglider friends and there was also a contingent of Americans to include Krista. We flew in the Alps (lower Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, and Italy) frequently on either school sponsored trips or on individual road trips. We would frequently switch or select locations based on the latest weather report. I also always brought my climbing gear with me so I could either climb, do a klettersteig (Via Feratta), or hike in the event the weather did not support paragliding.

All in all, I found the experience to be great and I still have German paraglider friends that I am in contact with that I meet for flying when I return to Germany. I loved the “big mountains” though I do agree that the weather here in the D.C. area is better.
stevek

Post by stevek »

How close are you to Bosingen Germany? -- south of Stutgart. There is a you tube video of people towing there. Looks pretty much like here with a dragonfly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIggvSFkzyc

Keep trying!

Good to hear from you.
John Simon

Post by John Simon »

Janni !!!

Great to hear from you! Hope your flying season sweetens up, I am canceling my trip to see you...

Heather says hello as well.

John
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Hey Janni! Great post. Very interesting. Sorry to hear about it all but you had been keeping me in the loop so this article wasn't a surprise. Got a Falcon and/or a Eagle waiting for you when you come visit. We'll hit High Rock and the Pulpit for some soaring flights.

Miss ya man.

Richard Hays aka "jimbaggadonuts" ( fb )
markc

Post by markc »

We miss ya Janni! Keep pushing to find a way to fly, that aerotowing link looked promising. Fly high, fly far dude!
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Come back, Janni!
-- ellis
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

Yes, come back! I need to be able to talk to someone about flying during the work week lunch hour.
Karen Carra