Calvert Cliffs Fri

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

garys

Calvert Cliffs Fri

Post by garys »

Heading to Calvert cliffs tomorrow eve. and flying Fri morning. Looks like a strong NE clear day. Come on down.
Gary Smith
stevek

Re: Calvert Cliffs Fri

Post by stevek »

Calvert Cliffs is a really fun place to fly. Ridge soaring on the Chesapeake Bay off a 100 ft cliff. Works for PGs too. I flew a PG there today. Unfortunately, I didn't see that it was going to be a good day until too late --didn't get there until 4. Still I almost. almost. got up on my first flight. So come on out. call in sick or something.
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Can you guys give more information about this site? This is the first time I hear about it.
Where exactly is it? Would I be able to use my U2 or would I need something like a Falcon for this little ridge?
Sounds like fun - I'd like to know more about it. I may make it out there tomorrow if all works out...
Much appreciate the info!
Felix.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Hey Felix. St. Leonard Md. Calvert Beach road to Matowaka Lane. ( sign on the left Cabins for Rent. Matowaka Cabins. Or something like that.)

It is a cliff launch. The lz is the beach below, long but narrow (width depends on tide) or if you get up a ways, the beach at the marina to the south. Bigger. U2 is ok. 202 812 8305
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Sounds good, thanks for the info Steve!
I'll check the weather tomorrow and see if I can make it.
Felix.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Jesse posted this video last year and you might get a little inside view of the place by watching this. Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAuzBmsNHUM
Knut
jyoder111

Post by jyoder111 »

Haha, that was a memorable flight.

Just FYI, it's a private site, so talk to Gary Smith before you go.

Jesse
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Jesse,
Despite not being able to soar that long time, you did a very good job landing on that beach. That was very good and glad you posted this video for all of us.
If I remember right, you went pass the small cabin/beach house, which is the recommended turning point.
Again, great video and a perfect landing.
Knut
jyoder111

Post by jyoder111 »

Looks like High tide tomorrow around 10am and Low around 5pm tomorrow for that area. Be prepared for some wet feet. :mrgreen: Gary tells me he's landed in knee-high water a number of times to no ill effect.

Jesse
garys

Post by garys »

Heading to the Bay in a couple hrs. Hi tide is mid day. Bummer. Though it should be plenty strong to get up and fly for hrs then down to the marina for a nice wide beach. Gary 540-686-0351
Gary Smith
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Leave your electronics behind. When I went I even removed my parachute. Won't do you any good at that altitude, anyway.

Too bad I can't make it tomorrow.
David Bodner
markc

Post by markc »

I am completely bummed that I can't get away tomorrow, grrrrr! Good luck and great flights to those who can! Hope to maybe see some vids from the day!

MarkC
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Stay up for hours? Now that does sound very good!
I'm seriously thinking of going. I could be there around 1 PM or so, when are you guys going to be there?
I need to first check out the site, LZ, get some pointers,etc...
I'll check for replies here but feel free to call/text me anytime.

202-640-0719
Felix.
Pete Schumann

Post by Pete Schumann »

I plan to leave work at 11:00 ish all packed up. Hope to get there at 12:30+-

Pete
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

I'll definitely join in, ETA 12:30 +-
Felix.
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Calvert Cliffs was OUTSTANDING today.
After a little scare that it might not work out - too light in the morning and Steve K. said it usually dies out towards the afternoon - I decided to go ahead and give it a try anyway since every weather site said it was going to get stronger through the day.
I arrived around 12:30. Steve K was up flying around, Gary and Calvin (nice to get to meet him today) were about ready to go. By the time I went to get my stuff from the car Gary was up. The winds were straight in around 13 MPH. Pete showed up (nice to have met him today as well) and we hurried to get set up. We helped launch Calvin and he got up easily. Steve K landed at the Marina and walked back to launch to help us out.

I launched with help from Pete and Steve around 1:30 or so, a few passes in front and I was up. Turned out to be an amazing flight, much beyond any expectations I had. I maxed out around 2800" AGL or so (can't say for sure, I left my vario at home since I didn't want to risk getting it wet), flew around for about 2 hours or so, got to go way out over the water, flew with other gliders, some awesome birds, all in all a spectacular flight. So glad I went!
It's all on camera, I'll put a video together (had my 2 cameras on), definitely worth it.
I understand this is not a normal day at the cliffs and so I am VERY happy I was there today. Lucky me.
Got in a serious hike back to launch after landing at the Marina (took the super-wrong, looong path) - oh well.
Then picked up Pete (he landed out), Pete again sorry for being there so late!.
We had some nice celebratory beer and food on the way back.
Many thanks to Gary for having us there and Steve and Pete for seeing me off the cliff safely!

Highland or Bills tomorrow? Hmmm.... :mrgreen:
Felix.
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

I looked through the video a bit - the flight was about 2 hours and 15 minutes, though it could of been much longer, I had to work to come down. I was ready to come down after seeing Pete land safely in a distant field, I was tired, hungry, frozen.
Here's a cool shot from fooling around while at a safe altitude.
I'll put a video together soon.
Good thing I left my parachute in :lol:
Felix.
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Felix, that is absolutely AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

Charley F.
Pete Schumann

Post by Pete Schumann »

A spectacular day at Garys' Beach! Thanks for calling us out Gary.

I got there and helped launch Gary, Calvin and Felix. Steve had flown already and helped Felix and me off. For the first hour it was great flying the usual 300' -500' over with your standard eagles and ospreys. Then Felix and I went out over the water and we started geting some thermals. We got up to 1200'+ over and we stayed there for a while then I topped out at 2300'+ Felix got even higher and we were able to just boat around at that altitude. The entire area view form this height was so so cool. I flew for a little over an hour and a half it was pretty cold. I wasn't ready for cold, so while I was high I headed for a field near Rte 4. Set up my landing over Rte. 4 and had a good landing in a field in front of St Lenard Elementary School.

Steve soared with his HG and PG very cool... Gary and Calvin soared and had great flights too and what looked like no step landings at the beach. Thanks again to Gary, his dad and a relative of Garys' who along with Steve helped me to launch.

Pete
stevek

Post by stevek »

After flying the HG, I managed to get up on the PG. Up up up. But it was a little strong and I wasn't able to do much other than point into the wind. Then I started going backwards. Speedbar time! D'o! Not connected (no lectures pls) So I reached up and pulled down on the A's and it worked good. Got me back out in front anyway. Flew around doing that for awhile but then decided I shouldn't really be there. Fun day.
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

I finally got a little time to put a movie together from this awesome flight.
A bit long...but hey, this is rare 8)

...how DO you post a video here correctly? I cannot figure it out. Perhaps I don't have the rights to do so?

[Ed: Fixed!]
Felix.
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Wow, nice to finally see a first hand account of this place we always hear about. Launching right out over the waves like that takes some kahunas. At Cape Cod we at least wait for the tide to provide some landing room.
Brian Vant-Hull