Weekend flying August 18th-19th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mingram

Weekend flying August 18th-19th

Post by mingram »

Wind looks pretty north for Saturday and weak on Sunday. The Little Gap group is flying from Blue Mountain Ski Resort near Allentown on Saturday. They got some XC miles from there on Thursday too. They also have a large tow field which could be good for the weak wind on Sunday. Anyone interested in a road trip/camping?
http://www.littlegap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=838

Or try our luck at the Pulpit on Saturday, but it looks pretty cross from the N, and NE at altitude. Maybe Daniels on Sunday. There's also a hot air balloon fest near Warrenton both days this weekend. The PPG crowd will be getting an aerial view.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Re: Weekend flying August 18th-19th

Post by mingram »

Got a reply from Jeff that he's possibly interested in Blue Mountain on Saturday. This site also supports HG. Anyone else interested?

I also heard from Slugger who's willing to tow PG in Shippensburg, PA on Sunday.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I hope to fly Saturday and maybe Sunday if the weather cooperates. I am looking at the pulpit or high rock on Saturday.

Tom McGowan
mingram

Post by mingram »

I wish I had High Rock as an option. Hoping the Pulpit forecast looks better tomorrow.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
AustinKasserman

Post by AustinKasserman »

count me in for whatever this weekend
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Guys, why no talk of the Sac? Looks like and awesome day there, straight in, soarable, and cb at 6500'. Whats up?
Bun
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

That's on my list too. Earlier, the forecast looked a little light for the drive. I am seeing a little more wind now. Larry - are you flying tomorrow?

Tom
markc

Post by markc »

I've never done the drive up to the Sac on a day with a surface forecast of less than 10, but I agree it looks like the best mtn option (for the hangies). What's the site's track record with conditions like that? 50/50? Better? Worse? Lotta road time and a lotta gas....

MarkC
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Flip a coin? :lol: Ya don't know if ya don't go. Good luck if you SAC it. Bacil
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

My plan is to head to the Sac. It is definitely a gamble but it seems the closer sites would be a gamble too.

Tom McGowan
markc

Post by markc »

I'm having a tough time mustering up enthusiasm for the drive....

The hourly for High Rock indicates that there could be both some NNE and some NNW today, does anyone want to gamble on that?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

MarkC
Bunkhouse

Post by Bunkhouse »

I'm heading to the Rock. Should be there by 11a.
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I trust everyone had a good day. The Sac was epic. One of my most memorable flights. Great clouds, great lift, unbelievable visibility, lots of cool birds. It was west cross most of the day but with light winds. I thermalled out over the valley until I got tired and landed. Last time at base, it was 6900 msl. 3 hours. Joe Gorrey was the only other pilot. He sledded when I arrived, then he also had an excellent flight in the afternoon. Thanks to Karen for her help and the food!

Tom McGowan
mingram

Post by mingram »

That's awesome Tom! Congrats!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
markc

Post by markc »

A couple things came up, and so I didn't get to High Rock until 2pm. *With* a commitment in Frederick at 5:30pm to boot, arghhhh!

B-Bob was setup and ready to go when I finally got there... Apparently there had been some very good cycles about an hour previously, but he elected to wait for crew. And I've got to say that the sky was looking great, the winds were coming in, no hint of way-cross winds. But... It definitely WAS light. Bob gave it a go after a huge crowd from Mt. St. Mary's college showed up. We cheered him on, but he ended up with an extendo to the LZ.

Drove down and picked him up, and then mentally started adding up the minutes for setup/flight/breakdown/drive. It didn't add up, and I elected not to fly. Which was a shame, because there definitely were some very promising cycles blowing into launch. It was a really good reminder that High Rock often makes its own weather : All kinds of NE (even E!) conditions being reporting when I hit the road, but there wasn't a hint of that on-site. Pretty sure that there would have been at least *some* soaring to be had, if more pilots had been up there to give it a go.

Glad you had a great day at The Sac Tom, and sorry that I missed out! Just couldn't deal with 5.5 hrs on the road today, uurffff!

MarkC