Sunday at the Pulpit

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

John Dullahan

Sunday at the Pulpit

Post by John Dullahan »

As mentioned earlier, I took off shortly after Bacil, and for the next few hours we struggled in short duration thermals to about 1,000 over, though most topped out at less then 600 over. Bacil was unlucky to be scratching low on one of the flush cycles and landed in the main field, but wasted no time in getting back up to resume the struggle. Naturally, the rest of the gang on launch waited for more promising conditions, and achieved more productive flights.

Dan T. and Hugh Mc. were far too modest in their flight accounts. The former launched about 2.5 hours after me and mostly showed me the bottom of his glider, as did Hugh, who followed him. In fact, Dan's save over the LZ was really low, and when he came back to the ridge, he caught an elevator to at least 2,500 over launch. I attemped to join him, but was too late for the train, and I watched Dan speck out and head over the back. Hugh also showed me where the lift was, and this time I joined him as we drifted over the back, topping out at 2,200 over before heading downwind. After spending about 3 hours scratching and working the patchy thermals, I was happy to break the cycle. However, there was no further lift over the valley. Hugh landed at LaMasters, and I landed at St. Thomas, on route 30 just across the road from Dan for eight miles. It was a paltry distance for a three hour 50 minute flight, but challenging and good practice to work the ratty thermals and scratch in survival mode.

Sean Ray also flew, and I had the pleasure of doing wire crew duties for Karen, and for Linda's first Pulpit flight. Matthew and Sparky had nice glass-off bagwing flights (after Sparky flew his CXS topless HG).

In all, it was a very pleasent day, with a sizable Harley contingent visiting launch to watch; several of whom said our activities seemed to be at least as much fun as riding hogs, and asked for information on taking lessons.
John Dullahan
John Dullahan