First flight in California - Marshall Peak to AJX

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

JMNTech

First flight in California - Marshall Peak to AJX

Post by JMNTech »

Flying the San Bernardino Mountains

This was one of the most breathtaking experiences I've had hang gliding. It was wonderful.

This is an extended sled ride, I got approx 30 mins some soaring and thermal updrafts but no major gain above launch.

Conditions were Light and Variable from approx 3 MPH to 10 MPH.

The Falcon 2 195 was an excellent glider for my first flight in California. AJX is a special landing zone - it requires an aircraft approach but its special because of its history.

Read about Andy Jackson Air Park here http://www.flytandem.com/airpark.htm

I was afraid I would overshoot the LZ so I had to pull out what little airspeed tricks I had and I flared a bit early and forgot to push my legs back and look up - but salvaged a good landing in the end. Everyone in the LZ thought I was going to overshoot it, so when I landed successfully they all clapped for me. It was really cool. I'm lovin it out here.

Andy Jackson Airpark - wow what a cool place to land and hang out. This is my first flight out in California.

It was awesome to fly with people all the way out here at this beautiful place. Everybody in the LZ was cool to talk to. One thing I enjoy about hang glider and para glider pilots alike is the bond we share as we all respect and love the art of free flight.

My shoe came untied after I launch (thanks a lot round laces - I need to double knot them from now on)

My right knee hanger was put on backwards, which didn't effect my flight at all but, you can see it in the video. Oops. It was a safe and elegant feeling to fly the falcon and how it lands is interesting. Very easy to dive and gain airspeed with little effort. Stall characteristics are a bit different than the Vision Eclipse.

I hope you enjoy this video =)

Music by:

Eric Clapton - Classical Gas