Too Much of a good thing in Florida

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Paul Tjaden

Post by Paul Tjaden »

After missing a couple of stellar flying days I thought I had sufficiently recovered from my cold to fly yesterday. (I was wrong. Woke up this AM feeling like crap.) Shortly after arriving at Quest, Davis walks up and asks if I'm ready to go. "Sure, where are we going?"

"We're going to break the 150 km. speed record."

"No problem. Let's go."

Didn't realize what I was getting myself into. Davis was first to launch and managed to get high over Quest while I struggled in weaker lift to the east. I told him to go on and I'd try to catch up but it never happened. By the time I got high and touched the start point, Davis had a four mile lead. Conditions were good but not great and it soon became apparent that just completing the task at any speed might be difficult. Both of us got low and managed to get back up several times as we struggled past the first turn point and on towards the second.

CB started in the 5,000 foot range and slowly got higher but climbs got slow towards the top and glances at the clock had us leaving early only wishing later we had added a couple hundred more feet to the altitude bank.

About 7 miles out from the second turn point at Zephyr Hills, I was getting a bit low and looking at a sea of trees. Davis knew the area better and had gone on to the way point low knowing there was landable terrain there if he couldn't get up. It was pretty hazy and I couldn't see beyond the trees so I decided I'd better try to find lift and get high before heading into the unknown. My caution paid off as Davis was unable to find workable lift at the turn point and had to land. I saw a small cloud forming about a half mile to my north, found solid lift to 600 and topped out at over 6K before catching the last turn point and heading for home.

The direct line home was over the dreaded Green Swamp (wish Davis would quit choosing routes over that) but I was fairly high and there were clouds about halfway over the swamp. If they were working, I could get up and make the direct route. If not, I should be able to dive to the right and make landable terrain in that direction. Unfortunately, the clouds were cycling down as I reached them and I had to detour well south of my course line to friendlier fields which I reached with just over a thousand feet of altitude. Once more I managed to get a save and after climbing high, I headed north down Rt. 33 towards home. Knowing I just needed one more small climb to get home.

By this time, after nearly 5 hours and 95 miles of flight, I was pretty exhausted and REALY wanted to make it back so I wouldn't have to break down in some cow pasture but I could tell the day was ending by the smooth air I was gliding through. There was a lonely cloud just east of the Seminole Glider Port that looked like it was dying but it was all I had so I flew towards it thinking I was going to find nothing and end up landing just a couple miles short after such a long task. But Damn!!! my vario started singing it's song and I started a slow climb in the dying thermal climbing a couple thousand feet and getting the altitude I needed to make it home. Final glide was pretty buoyant too so I was able to stuff the bar and come in fast with altitude to spare.

A new speed record? Not even close. My time on course was 4:14 averaging just over 35 kph. But it was a personal best for me and lots of fun. One thing I'm beginning to realize about my new glider is that the added performance is a mixed blessing. Huge tasks are much more doable but to challenge myself I have to be willing to spend a lot of time in the air. (I can hear all the boo hoo's now) I know this sounds stupid but there really can be too much of a good thing. I think I may try to re-direct my flying for a while towards just going up and enjoying the sky with my friends and maybe trying to fly along with Lauren on some of her XC adventures. That is, at least until the East Coast Championships!!!!

See ya,

Paul
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Wait...wait - backup! You just sorta casually mentioned that you outflew
Davis Straub?

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Paul Tjaden wrote:

>
> About 7 miles out from the second turn point at Zephyr Hills, I was getting
> a bit low and looking at a sea of trees. Davis knew the area better and
> had gone on to the way point low knowing there was landable terrain
> there if he couldn't get up. It was pretty hazy and I couldn't see
> beyond the trees so I decided I'd better try to find lift and get high
> before heading into the unknown. My caution paid off as Davis was unable
> to find workable lift at the turn point and had to land.
>
Flying Lobster

big fella

Post by Flying Lobster »

And he beat Oleg, world champ flex pilot, the last two days of the South FLA invitational. Maybe boost sales of rigids?

marc
Great Googly-moo!