Lookin' epic

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Flying Lobster

Lookin' epic

Post by Flying Lobster »

Thursday is lookin schweet with potential epic cross-countrying conditions. Anybody up for it?

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Dan T

Lookin' epic

Post by Dan T »

I am, but my logistics just got a bit tougher since I need to be at the
Washington Navy Yard in the late morning. I wonder what the guards would think of
that long pole on the top of the truck? If it looks like we have enough
interest I'll carry it and could make High Rock or Woodstock by about 1:30. I'd
want to know that there is a reasonable chance that everybody flies.

Dan T.
mcelrah

Lookin' epic

Post by mcelrah »

I've gotten into CIA with glider on the car. Guards seemed more
interested than suspicious... - Hugh

On 11 May 2005, at 18:21, Wuffo1@aol.com wrote:

>
> I am, but my logistics just got a bit tougher since I need to be at the
> Washington Navy Yard in the late morning. I wonder what the guards
> would think of
> that long pole on the top of the truck? If it looks like we have
> enough
> interest I'll carry it and could make High Rock or Woodstock by about
> 1:30. I'd
> want to know that there is a reasonable chance that everybody flies.
>
> Dan T.
>
>
markc

Post by markc »

Been tryin' like hell to get things finished at work so I could
get out mid-week... but no dice. Looks like I'll be missing yet
another good one. Damn, not a single bonafide spring flight
this year. :(

Leaving for Japan (work, unfortunately) Friday, back on the 23rd.
Will deal with new forum registrations and such when I'm back.

Fly high, go far!

--mark c.
Flying Lobster

epic day

Post by Flying Lobster »

Conditions were incredible, cloubase eventually rose up to 12,000 ft and climb rates were an honest 1200 fpm and lasted well past 7:00 pm. Flying under the cloud streets required no circling--just pull in for speed and go as far as you wanted!

WEll, now that you've enjoyed reading a paragraph from my new fantasy book called "Creaming in the Sky," I'll tell you about me an Steve's flight from yesterday. Conditions were kinda epic at the Rock--pretty much straight south and quite strong--not the light west forecasted. The day became an excercise in hiring and training wire crews. We then both enjoyed quick flights to the lz puncuated by the occassional swoopy mini-wingovers and pitch-up pop-overs.

After returning to launch we hemmed and hawed as conditions became less cross, but nobody around to wire. We finally convinced ourselves to give it another go after a spontaneous drinking party arrived. We then enjoyed a wierd wave--lift line kinda day, attempts at climbing cores with turns were not effective. Rather it seemed the best thing was simply fly straight and push out. Took me a long time to figure that out. Both got over an hour but no epic 100 miles, I'm sorry to say.
Great Googly-moo!
Matthew

Wuffo Wire Crew

Post by Matthew »

Just a reminder... if you use wuffos to assist in launching you are voiding the USHGA waiver. I know I'm not gonna change any opinions on this subject and there are rationalizations for disagreeing with this truth. But that's the way it is folks. So if you use a wuffo on your wire crew and the wuffo gets hurt, it's on your dime. USHGA members have signed a release of liability for assisting in launching. Wuffos have not. Try reading the wiaver sometime. Likewise, we lose our protection under our site insurance when using wuffos. We've been through this one too many times before and double checked with USHGA HQ. Thus if a wuffo gets hurt when assiting with a launch, we aren't covered under the site insurance and we could lose the site if the wuffo sues.

Happy Flying!

Matthew
brianvh

Lookin' epic

Post by brianvh »

Voiding the USHGA waiver? Maybe you mean the site insurance, but if I
remember correctly the consequences weren't as clear as you are making
them out to be, though there was a definite legal threat.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Matthew wrote:

> Just a reminder... if you use wuffos to assist in launching you are voiding the USHGA waiver. I know I'm not gonna change any opinions on this subject and there are rationalizations for disagreeing with this truth. But that's the way it is folks. So if you use a wuffo on your wire crew and the wuffo gets hurt, it's on your dime. USHGA members have signed a release of liability for assisting in launching. Wuffos have not. Try reading the wiaver sometime. Likewise, we lose our protection under our site insurance when using wuffos. We've been through this one too many times before and double checked with USHGA HQ. Thus if a wuffo gets hurt when assiting with a launch, we aren't covered under the site insurance and we could lose the site if the wuffo sues.
>
> Happy Flying!
>
> Matthew
Flying Lobster

drat

Post by Flying Lobster »

yup--ya might just get sued if ya knock somebody off--wiring or otherwise. That'll learn me for saying anything at all!

marc
Great Googly-moo!
hang_pilot

Lookin' epic

Post by hang_pilot »

I think that Matthew meant to add: Welcome back, Marc. Glad you got some airtime and hope you sell a boat-load of art this weekend.”
?
~Daniel
?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 3:01 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Lookin' epic
?
yup--ya might just get sued if ya knock somebody off--wiring or otherwise. That'll learn me for saying anything at all!

marc

got art?
http://www.marcfink.com/
wanna fly?
http://www.downeastairsports.com/

Code: Select all

************************************************The information transmitted is intended solelyfor the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/orprivileged material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination or other use of or taking actionin reliance upon this information by persons orentities other than the intended recipient isprohibited. If you have received this email inerror please contact the sender and delete thematerial from any computer. [ST:A234]************************************************
Flying Lobster

thanks

Post by Flying Lobster »

Why, thank you Dan.

marc
Great Googly-moo!