Thursday @ Smithsburg - high-wind ground handling practice.

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Spark

Thursday @ Smithsburg - high-wind ground handling practice.

Post by Spark »

I took off early on Thursday to fly with plans to meet Bruce and Hank at Pulpit. When I finally left the office, it looked a bit O.D'd, so I decided to go to Smithsburg with Rich Bloomfield, who was intent on getting some foot launch practice. I had planned to test-fly a PG I had just purchased, but winds were a bit too strong for that

Shortly after I arrived, I got a call from Bruce reporting that it was raining and winds at the Pulpit had been over 50mph, so he was headed home to dry out his gear. I informed Rich of the potential for rain and strong winds. We observed that the rain was travelling north of our position, and Rich wanted to experience some 'high-wind ground handling', so he set up his Falcon 195 while I flew Zagi and chatted with Eddie Miller.

Once Rich was ready, Eddie and I assisted. I tied a piece of webbing to the keel (an Eddie Miller idea), near the noseplate on the Falcon, and Eddie shared some advice on high-wind ground handling. Finally, the last vestiges of the squall moved past us, and conditions settled down ... a little.

Rich made two flights from a position half-way up the hill, waiting each time for a suitable lull in windspeed. I think he did well in his ground handling and in countering the turbulence.

Rich loaned me his glider and I made one flight into the sporty air, experiencing periods of zero ground speed followed by quick changes in altitude.

I made it home in time to cut the lawn and get the garden vegetables planted before the rain and sunset.

Another 'great' day
'Spark
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

I got a call from Bruce yesterday about meeting him at the pulpit after work. I didn't get home until after six. Sorry it didn't work out at the pulpit, but appriciate the invite. We'll hook up soon. Shawn.