Birding at The Pulpit

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Bunkhouse

Birding at The Pulpit

Post by Bunkhouse »

Can anyone help with info for the question below?

Hello Maryland Hang Gliding Association,

I am a birder from western Pennsylvania who is trying to gather information about Tuscarora Summit (The Pulpit). The Internet led me to your organization. I know that there is a hawk watch conducted at that site. Is it done on land owned by your group, or co-owned, or owned by the Mountain House Bar and Grill, or do you know who owns what at the top of the mountain?

I would appreciate any information you could give me about The Pulpit.

Thank you.

Sherron Lynch
pmfohl@zbzoom.net
Dan T

Re: Birding at The Pulpit

Post by Dan T »

I sent the following reply to her email address:

Sharon,

Our hanggliding clubs (Capitol Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, and Maryland Hang Gliding Association) own the site at the pulpit. The birders are always welcome there. You can reach the site by driving down the dirt road that is immediately on the left of the biker bar. There may be a no-trespassing sign right at the entrance to the road. It was put up by others and does not apply to those using it to gain access to our property. Our site is approximately 100 yards down the road on the right. You will see a parking area. The birders usually set up on the large ramp on the right as you face the valley.

Nearly all of us long time pilots have had the good fortune to fly along side an eagle and/or red tail hawk. We welcome questions and would be glad to share our experiences with you.

Dan
member CHGPA
mcelrah

Re: Birding at The Pulpit

Post by mcelrah »

Excellent response, Dan! - Hugh