GPS - Is it worth the $$ in region 9

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Ward Odenwald

GPS - Is it worth the $$ in region 9

Post by Ward Odenwald »

After 24 years of watching the cloud streets and raising my children, I'm finally transitioning back into this remarkable sport. When I left, my Ball vario was just fine (its all we had) now the new instruments look like they require advanced double degrees in physics and computer science. I'm surprised that they don't offer in-flight movies. I'd like to hear from those of you that fly with a vario linked to a GPS tracker. How has it helped your flying at local sites? Has it added miles to your XC flights? The companies that sell them claim that theirs will get you back into that lost thermal. Is this true? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Ward
theflyingdude

Re: GPS - Is it worth the $$ in region 9

Post by theflyingdude »

I have a Brauniger IQ Comp and a Garmin 76S. One advantage of having the GPS/flight deck combo, besides basic naviagation and having a score card, is that it will provide wind direction and speed at whatever altitude you're flying. I don't always believe it 100% of the time, but I think that it's fairly accurate most of the time. It's also nice to have the moving maps so you can tell your driver where you are and stay out of restricted airspace. The ability to provide specific coordinates once you've landed can save a lot of retreival time.

JR
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Wow, a blast from the past... Ward Oldenwald! Welcome back Ward. A lot has changed in all these years. Mrs. Emma Jane will be tickled to see you.

Looking forward to flying with you again.

There's alot of fancy, cool gadgets out there but I'd hold off for a bit. Think about a glider/harness first and just use the Ball cluster until you figure out which instrument will best suit you moving forward.

Danny Brotto
Kurt Hirrlinger

Post by Kurt Hirrlinger »

SILENT WINGS WARD?
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Yeah, and think about paragliding. That's another improvement :-)
-- ellis (putting on her flame suit ;-)
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

What Danny said. I haven't used the fancy stuff myself yet, but I figure it would take at least a good year to knock enough dust off that you'd notice the difference, or be willing to pay attention to more than a beep.
Brian Vant-Hull