P2!

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

crowland

P2!

Post by crowland »

Got my P2 rating on Sunday with my first mountain solo flight. Three of us have been taking lessons with Juanito. Two of us got to fly, and both got our P2 ratings. Hopefully the third will be able to do her P2 flight next weekend, as she was out of town for this adventure.

We flew at the Pulpit. It was an absolutely amazing experience. The last flight I had done before that was a tandem with Juanito, also at the Pulpit. The first launch was terrifying, but having launched there before made this time easy. Landing was great fun, as I had to do quite a bit of turning to lose altitude before the LZ in a way that I definitely hadn't had a chance to do on the training hills (ie more than 180 degree turns).

I was pretty well convinced that I wasn't going to be able to fly that day because it was a little rough in the morning, and when we were ready to go in the afternoon, the wind died. But I feel immensely lucky that there were a few cycles strong enough later in the afternoon for us to launch.

Haven't been able to stop smiling since.

Clare
-Clare
pink_albatross

Re: P2!

Post by pink_albatross »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Wee haww!!! Time to leave the nest. :-)
Who's the other happy P2?

Blue skies (with lotsa friendly cumies)!
-- ellis
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

Hey Clare

I'm so excited for you. It's great to have some new pilots, especially women!

Karen
Karen Carra
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

Clare,

Conratulations! I remember how excited I was after my first solo flight. It just gets better from here, so enjoy the new addiction. Flying is something you can do for your entire life, so never be in a hurry to fly or compromise your judgment. Introduce new elements and levels of skill gradually as you progress. One of my favorite quotes is "better to be on the ground wishing you were flying than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground."

Here are a couple other quotes for you:
"Flying does not rely so much on strength, as on physical and mental co-ordination."
— Elise Deroche, first lady to solo an airplane

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
— Amelia Earhart

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Fly safe and see you out there!
Jeff
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ