Flying with bi-focals... bad idea

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

toto's_ride

Flying with bi-focals... bad idea

Post by toto's_ride »

:shock: Had a great day at Highland last week to close out another good year. I had wanted, for some time, to get a face shield for my helmet so I could wear my glasses (instead of goggles) and not have the bother of turbulence behind my lenses causing my eyes to tear; and thus negate the benefit of the glasses. Sunny fitted up my shield and cautioned me to flip it up upon entering my approach, as it might skew my depth perception on the round out. I did so & everything seemed peachy until I flared (at about 15'). The glider's fine, my butt's a little sore- there's a new place for a puddle next spring. Guess I better find some single vision lenses, or develop my squinting muscles a bit more.
Visualize silence
Matthew

Toto's Ride?

Post by Matthew »

Thanks for sharing your story. It's especially useful as the average age of a pilot is 47.

Might be helpful if you signed your post so other pilots would know who you are....

Matthew
Kurt Hirrlinger

flying with bifocals

Post by Kurt Hirrlinger »

I know that guy.
We need to coax this bespeckeled closet flyer out to the hill.

WOW, I'm an above average pilot !
toto's_ride

Post by toto's_ride »

Ouch Tim- I hope you meant bespeckticled; I haven't been bespeckled in quite a long time!
Sorry Mathew, I forgot to close with my name.
Tim Hinkel, see you.
Visualize silence
Gene

Post by Gene »

I know exactly what you mean about the glasses. I have them in the dark lenses and went to Blue Sky some time back in the summer with the same problem of judgement.
Gene

4 i's rule! or does that make it 8?
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I have continuously variable lenses in my sunglasses so I can see distance, instruments and charts (if I'm flying an airplane). I've never had a problem with judging distance above the ground for flare (timing is another issue). You can adjust how high the glasses sit on your nose so you have the right refraction for seeing the ground available all the way. I also fly with a face shield in the winter and raise it as part of my prelanding check list. - Hugh
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I've got the same set up as Hugh -- continuously variable prescription lenses in my sunglasses. Had the laser eye surgery so lenses have no effect on top (for distance), but have magnification for reading on the bottom. Couldn't read my vario/gps without these. I ordered them specifically with flying in mind, so I had them move the magnification/reading point to start down below where they would normally be to increase my overall distance reading area. Just look down with my eyes to read the vario. Have had no trouble with landings (paraglider) (that I can blame on the glasses, as least).
Charlie