Blown Launch

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Nelson Lewis

Blown Launch

Post by Nelson Lewis »

On Monday 27 August 2007 at approximately 6:30pm I blew launch at Flat Top Mountain in Virginia. Flat Top is a shallow slope launch with a road cut crossing launch at approximately 15-20 yards. Conditions were calm. However, at the time of launch there was enough flow coming in to see on a streamer and feel on my face. I could not feel anything on the WW T2 144. The launch run felt normal as the glider lifted off and began to support my weight. I was not flying at the road cut and stepped down onto the road half way across. My run was immediatly slowed as I transitioned to a level grade. The glider settled on my shoulders and continued ahead of me. I tried to slow the glider, however, the glider got in front of me and I crashed below the road without significant injury or damage.
Nelson Lewis, Hang IV
Dan T

Glad you weren't hurt.

Post by Dan T »

I'm glad you weren't hurt. I hope you are able to shake it off and return to the sky soon.

For those of you who don't know Nelson he is a top tier local pilot. His incident is a reminder to us all that it can happen to any of us. I encourage us all to leave ourselves some saftey margin in weak as well as strong conditions.

Dan T
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

How is it that we didn't hear about this story at the fly-in?

JR