Monday flying?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

alek

Monday flying?

Post by alek »

Had a great day at Smithsburg today. Now have an itch to fly high. Anyone thinking of flying tomorrow?
Spark

Post by Spark »

I'm game. I'm hoping to take off this afternoon and head out somewhere. I should know by 11am. It looks kinda north for Woodstock. Anybody else?
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

Let's meet at the Woodstock LZ at 12:30pm.
'Spark
Spark

Woodstock Monday

Post by Spark »

Yall should've been there.

I launched last at 3:15pm (after Adam, Homer, Alek and Steve) into a nice cycle and beamed up to 1k above launch within a few minutes.

A half mile to the north, I found a big fat one to 4200' above launch (~6200 msl). The core was a solid 800 fpm for several minutes. I sure love that sound. The view looking east toward the fresh snowfall on Skyline was awesome.

Too bad I was in the wrong glider (Falcon 225). At about half way to the Strasburg, I lost over 2000 feet in a half mile, so I turned tail and crept back toward launch, finally finding another fat one to 5200 msl. Nice stuff - strong but smooth.

On the radio, I could hear Pete and JR and John Fenner over at High Point.

Later on, the thermals became smaller and more sparse, and the wind switched a bit more west. I boated around for awhile by myself at 3k msl with some buzzards. I went out towards the LZ to land twice, and both times found small cores taking me from 500' back to 1k over. I finally got serious about landing and touched down after an hour and forty-five minutes, arms just a bit sore, feeling better than yesterday.

Maybe it will be even better tomorrow.
'Spark
alek

Post by alek »

I had a fun hour long flight until I got too cold. Got up to 3200 over launch and ventured further north than I had ever before at Woodstock. Getting back in the air after a couple of months off felt great!

Huge thanks to Sparky who took time off work to observe me!

Alek