Perscription Sunglasses -- Recommendations/Advice Needed

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

charlieg

Perscription Sunglasses -- Recommendations/Advice Needed

Post by charlieg »

After my laser eye surgery several years ago my distance vision is great. However my reading vision sucks (over 40 syndrome - very much over 40 in my case). As such, when I fly the display on my vario/GPS is pretty much useless. At some point I'll get the lenses in my eyes replaced with the new technology stuff that fixes your near, mid and far vision. My eye doctor recommends waiting for the next generation before I do -- 3 - 5 years out. So until then I'm looking for a source for some good perscription flying sunglasses that will have a bifocal lense at the bottom that will let me read my vario/GPS while I can still see far out the tops of the lenses (no correction).
Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks,
Charlie
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I have multiple refraction ("continuously-variable" - no line) sunglasses with polarized coating, which I love - seems I can see clouds better. ($$$) But beware: your instruments have polarized coatings, too. If the filters line up crossways in your flying position, you see zilch on the instruments. I like the polarized glasses so much I've just learned to orient the instruments differently or turn my head. Also, for those sunset flights where it's getting dark in the LZ by the time you land, I think good quality flip-ups would be handy. Don't want to make them heavy so they want to fall off when you're proned out on a hot day and sweating. Can't wear croakies because I at least have to take glasses off to put helmet on. - Hugh
Danny Brotto

Another approach...

Post by Danny Brotto »

Use your choice of sunglasses and add these...

http://www.stickonlenses.net/servlet/StoreFront

Danny Brotto
Jon K

Zeal

Post by Jon K »

http://www.zealoptics.com/

Custom prescriptions available on all their models.