woohoo! hang 4!!!!

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Paul Tjaden

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by Paul Tjaden »

I flew today midday, along with Larry Huffman and a few other die-hards. (Paul was recovering from the flu and opted to stay grounded.) The low inversion made for a rough tow and bumpy air, combined with marginal lift. After 25 minutes of scraping, I felt happy to land.
But this evening the wind backed off a tic, and I was confident the thermals had died. Bob was too busy with tandems to watch me try spot landings for my 4, but Drew said he had time. It was challenging for me to have the guts to try, because I might fail. But the time looked right.
I visualized the perfect landing, gliding gently down to the exact spot between the cones I had set.
Drew flipped off my vario as I launched. As I set up for landing, he took the cones and began to stroll across the field with them. I yelled down that if he didn't set the damn things down, how could I be expected to land by them? In his own sweet time he placed them according to his whim.
I flew an accurate final, which placed me exactly between the cones, but one foot became tangled in my harness line. I had to land one-footed, which quickly turned into "two-kneed", instead. I argued that for a one foot landing it was pretty good but Drew said I had to start over. The b**tard. My knees hurt but at least I didn't break Griffin.
Well, I'll be quick. The next 3 landings were GREAT. Well, the last one I took 2 steps, and the 2nd one I landed about 15 feet from the cones, but basically I NAILED IT!! My last flight it was so late and dark and I was scared I would blow it. Hey, I believe that pigs can fly, because damn, I am a 4! Isn't that strange? Who woulda thunk it?
Larry and Paul watched and met me with cheering. I was driven over to the hangar and Larry put away my glider. Then we all feasted at Salvadore's Italian Restaurant with some other pilot friends.
The manager said she would give me the young French Chef as a present to celebrate but she never came through and besides I love Paul a lot but it was a good joke.
Now we gotta go to a party at Quest. Woohoo, things are very good.
Lauren
mcelrah

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by mcelrah »

Max congrats, Madame Sky-Goddess! You've been working (playing) hard
and done what it takes. A little friendly competition may be just the
thing to help me improve my skills also. I see that Highland is having
a comp in early June. I wonder what that's about. Will you be back? -
Hugh

On 2 Mar 2005, at 22:08, Paul Tjaden wrote:

> I flew today midday, along with Larry Huffman and a few other
> die-hards. (Paul was recovering from the flu and opted to stay
> grounded.) The low inversion made for a rough tow and bumpy air,
> combined with marginal lift. After 25 minutes of scraping, I felt
> happy to land.
> But this evening the wind backed off a tic, and I was confident the
> thermals had died. Bob was too busy with tandems to watch me try spot
> landings for my 4, but Drew said he had time. It was challenging for
> me to have the guts to try, because I might fail. But the time looked
> right.
> I visualized the perfect landing, gliding gently down to the exact
> spot between the cones I had set.
> Drew flipped off my vario as I launched. As I set up for landing, he
> took the cones and began to stroll across the field with them. I
> yelled down that if he didn't set the damn things down, how could I be
> expected to land by them? In his own sweet time he placed them
> according to his whim.
> I flew an accurate final, which placed me exactly between the cones,
> but one foot became tangled in my harness line. I had to land
> one-footed, which quickly turned into "two-kneed", instead. I argued
> that for a one foot landing it was pretty good but Drew said I had to
> start over. The b**tard. My knees hurt but at least I didn't break
> Griffin.
> Well, I'll be quick. The next 3 landings were GREAT. Well, the last
> one I took 2 steps, and the 2nd one I landed about 15 feet from the
> cones, but basically I NAILED IT!! My last flight it was so late and
> dark and I was scared I would blow it. Hey, I believe that pigs can
> fly, because damn, I am a 4! Isn't that strange? Who woulda thunk it?
> Larry and Paul watched and met me with cheering. I was driven over to
> the hangar and Larry put away my glider. Then we all feasted at
> Salvadore's Italian Restaurant with some other pilot friends.
> The manager said she would give me the young French Chef as a present
> to celebrate but she never came through and besides I love Paul a lot
> but it was a good joke.
> Now we gotta go to a party at Quest. Woohoo, things are very good.
> Lauren
>
>
>
>
>
John Simon

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by John Simon »

CONGRATS LAUREN!!!!??? Great news...? Now come back up here and learn me some XC!!
?
?
John?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:09 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: woohoo! hang 4!!!!

I flew today midday, along with Larry Huffman and a few other die-hards. (Paul was recovering from the flu and opted to stay grounded.) The low inversion made for a rough tow and bumpy air, combined with marginal lift. After 25 minutes of scraping, I felt happy to land.
But this evening the wind backed off a tic, and I was confident the thermals had died. Bob was too busy with tandems to watch me try spot landings for my 4, but Drew said he had time. It was challenging for me to have the guts to try, because I might fail. But the time looked right.
I visualized the perfect landing, gliding gently down to the exact spot between the cones I had set.
Drew flipped off my vario as I launched. As I set up for landing, he took the cones and began to stroll across the field with them. I yelled down that if he didn't set the damn things down, how could I be expected to land by them? In his own sweet time he placed them according to his whim.
I flew an accurate final, which placed me exactly between the cones, but one foot became tangled in my harness line. I had to land one-footed, which quickly turned into "two-kneed", instead. I argued that for a one foot landing it was pretty good but Drew said I had to start over. The b**tard. My knees hurt but at least I didn't break Griffin.
Well, I'll be quick. The next 3 landings were GREAT. Well, the last one I took 2 steps, and the 2nd one I landed about 15 feet from the cones, but basically I NAILED IT!! My last flight it was so late and dark and I was scared I would blow it. Hey, I believe that pigs can fly, because damn, I am a 4! Isn't that strange? Who woulda thunk it?
Larry and Paul watched and met me with cheering. I was driven over to the hangar and Larry put away my glider. Then we all feasted at Salvadore's Italian Restaurant with some other pilot friends.
The manager said she would give me the young French Chef as a present to celebrate but she never came through and besides I love Paul a lot but it was a good joke.
Now we gotta go to a party at Quest. Woohoo, things are very good.
Lauren

brianvh

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by brianvh »

Doesn't this mean that now you have to take an obligatory trip out west?
Way to go Sky-Goddess!

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Paul Tjaden wrote:

> I flew today midday, along with Larry Huffman and a few other die-hards. (Paul was recovering from the flu and opted to stay grounded.) The low inversion made for a rough tow and bumpy air, combined with marginal lift. After 25 minutes of scraping, I felt happy to land.
> But this evening the wind backed off a tic, and I was confident the thermals had died. Bob was too busy with tandems to watch me try spot landings for my 4, but Drew said he had time. It was challenging for me to have the guts to try, because I might fail. But the time looked right.
> I visualized the perfect landing, gliding gently down to the exact spot between the cones I had set.
> Drew flipped off my vario as I launched. As I set up for landing, he took the cones and began to stroll across the field with them. I yelled down that if he didn't set the damn things down, how could I be expected to land by them? In his own sweet time he placed them according to his whim.
> I flew an accurate final, which placed me exactly between the cones, but one foot became tangled in my harness line. I had to land one-footed, which quickly turned into "two-kneed", instead. I argued that for a one foot landing it was pretty good but Drew said I had to start over. The b**tard. My knees hurt but at least I didn't break Griffin.
> Well, I'll be quick. The next 3 landings were GREAT. Well, the last one I took 2 steps, and the 2nd one I landed about 15 feet from the cones, but basically I NAILED IT!! My last flight it was so late and dark and I was scared I would blow it. Hey, I believe that pigs can fly, because damn, I am a 4! Isn't that strange? Who woulda thunk it?
> Larry and Paul watched and met me with cheering. I was driven over to the hangar and Larry put away my glider. Then we all feasted at Salvadore's Italian Restaurant with some other pilot friends.
> The manager said she would give me the young French Chef as a present to celebrate but she never came through and besides I love Paul a lot but it was a good joke.
> Now we gotta go to a party at Quest. Woohoo, things are very good.
> Lauren
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Congratulations to the hardest working woman in hang gliding! I remember when you were taking your billionth tandem. Your persistence is awesome.

~Daniel
silverwings

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by silverwings »

Congratulations Lauren!
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Matthew

Sky Goddess

Post by Matthew »

Oh God. I guess this really means she is a Sky Goddess now. We'll never hear the end of it :)

Congrats and much love!!!

Matthew
Paul Tjaden

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by Paul Tjaden »

????Thanks so much for the many congratulations!
????You would laugh; I was so excited I couldn't sleep at all Thursday night. I finally got up around 5 after laying in bed for hours (thinking I am a four, wow, wow, might as well get up and do the dishes since I am sure not sleepy) and was absolutely worthless yesterday as a result.
????Can you imagine if I manage to fly a hundred miles? I'll have to be hospitalized and sedated.
????You guys are the very best and I miss you so much.
Lauren
Paul Tjaden

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by Paul Tjaden »

In a message dated 3/2/2005 10:24:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mcelrah@verizon.net writes:
I see that Highland is having
a comp in early June.? I wonder what that's about.?
Look at their web site. It's the East Coast Championships. Limited numbers of pilots are allowed, so you want to get in your entry on the day it opens if you are interested. Also?check out the requirements first so you don'[t have a last minute scramble
Will you be back? -
?
Oh yeah!!! Couldn't miss that.
Happy flying,
Lauren
?

?
Richard Hays

woohoo! hang 4!!!!

Post by Richard Hays »

Way to go Lauren!

Rich

>From: "Paul Tjaden" <tjadenhors@aol.com>
>Reply-To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
>To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
>Subject: woohoo! hang 4!!!!
>Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:08:58 -0500
>
>I flew today midday, along with Larry Huffman and a few other die-hards.
>(Paul was recovering from the flu and opted to stay grounded.) The low
>inversion made for a rough tow and bumpy air, combined with marginal lift.
>After 25 minutes of scraping, I felt happy to land.
>But this evening the wind backed off a tic, and I was confident the
>thermals had died. Bob was too busy with tandems to watch me try spot
>landings for my 4, but Drew said he had time. It was challenging for me to
>have the guts to try, because I might fail. But the time looked right.
>I visualized the perfect landing, gliding gently down to the exact spot
>between the cones I had set.
>Drew flipped off my vario as I launched. As I set up for landing, he took
>the cones and began to stroll across the field with them. I yelled down
>that if he didn't set the damn things down, how could I be expected to land
>by them? In his own sweet time he placed them according to his whim.
>I flew an accurate final, which placed me exactly between the cones, but
>one foot became tangled in my harness line. I had to land one-footed, which
>quickly turned into "two-kneed", instead. I argued that for a one foot
>landing it was pretty good but Drew said I had to start over. The b**tard.
>My knees hurt but at least I didn't break Griffin.
>Well, I'll be quick. The next 3 landings were GREAT. Well, the last one I
>took 2 steps, and the 2nd one I landed about 15 feet from the cones, but
>basically I NAILED IT!! My last flight it was so late and dark and I was
>scared I would blow it. Hey, I believe that pigs can fly, because damn, I
>am a 4! Isn't that strange? Who woulda thunk it?
>Larry and Paul watched and met me with cheering. I was driven over to the
>hangar and Larry put away my glider. Then we all feasted at Salvadore's
>Italian Restaurant with some other pilot friends.
>The manager said she would give me the young French Chef as a present to
>celebrate but she never came through and besides I love Paul a lot but it
>was a good joke.
>Now we gotta go to a party at Quest. Woohoo, things are very good.
>Lauren