Ellenville Friday 11/25

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Ellenville Friday 11/25

Post by XCanytime »

Got to fly Ellenville the day after Thanksgiving.? Breezy on the drive out from Cheshire, CT on I-84.? Got to the LZ around 12 noon.? Flow from the streamers was from the SW to W.? Checked in w/ Tony Covelli, signed the waiver, and paid the $10 for the day pass.? Saw a pilot land before heading up.? 2" of snow on the access road to launch.? What a beautiful site!? Visibility was superb; could see the prominent snowcapped?Catskills to the NW.? Set up while my brother-in-law kept warm in the vehicle.? Windsock and streamers showed a pretty good left cross most of the time.? Winds were 5 to 10 MPH.? Chose a good straight in cycle and had a good launch.? Turned left into the cross and benched up in front of the launch knob with a few figure 8s in front of it.? Got about 50' above the launch point (which is not at the top of the mountain)?and headed over to an upwind knob across Rt. 52.? Should?have stayed where I was (never leave lift).? Lost altitude and found myself at Rt. 52 level with a severe cross from the SW.? Headed to the LZ w/ a quartering tailwind.? Found some light lift to the south of the LZ and gained 100'?w/ a few 360's.? The bubble quit, and I descended in for a nice landing to the SW.? I look forward to flying Ellenville again.
?
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Bacil
?
Spark

Re: Ellenville Friday 11/25

Post by Spark »

XCanytime wrote:Got to fly Ellenville the day after Thanksgiving.?

... snip ...

I look forward to flying Ellenville again.
?
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Bacil
?
Thanks for the report. It is indeed a nice mtn., although a bit of a drive, given that we also have nice NW ridges.

I had a nice evening glass off flight there in my PG last summer after completing a Tandem clinic with Paul V.

'Spark

p.s. I found a new SW training hill :D