Skyline Drive Saturday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Spark

Skyline Drive Saturday

Post by Spark »

Me, Steve, Bruce, Joe and Gary

Winds were way too light at first. I launched first in my PG (probably about 30 minutes too early) and eventually sank out. Thermals were pretty punchy and I hit some big sink holes. I was pretty happy to make it all the way to the LZ.

Steve was next - he soared and got high for awhile. Then it was Joe, he also got over the top. Gary and Bruce went to fly Zagi's.

Steve convinced me to try again.

I didn't like my (2nd) launch very much, but that is history now. I was able to get up for awhile, although winds were S cross, it was marginally ridge soarable with some late afternoon thermals (still pretty punchy).

This was my first time looking down on the top of the mountain from a PG, so I'm pretty happy about it.

Afterwards, I joined Bruce, Gary and Hank for some Zagi flying at Gooney manor overlook.

Thanks to Steve for his encouragement and to Joe for the ride back up.
'Spark
tomceunen

turbulent

Post by tomceunen »

Sparky
Good you got over the launch. At Daniels the thermals were 'catch me if you can'. Lots of fun but exhausting. Flew >three hours hobbling around with Juan.
One local HG showed up. Unfortunately he went straight down to landing. He told us he is seriously thinking of flying PG as well.
Cheers
Tom
stevek

Post by stevek »

ok. Gonna take Scott's suggestion and try flickr. Not because it is faster but because I can't figure out webshots. so here are pics of Spark;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinsley

hmm. guess you will have to paste it into your browser.
tomceunen

degeneration

Post by tomceunen »

Steve,

I see you holding up Sparky's glider. This remembers me when we were there together the first time. Meanwhile I have a new glider and that won't happen again the first years. Firstly it has all open cells which makes it easier to inflate and secondly a newer glider has more structure. After many flights the PG gets like a tea bag. Well no frame you know.

If it gets West this weekend , lets fly dickies!

cheers
Tom
Flying Lobster

Re: degeneration

Post by Flying Lobster »

tomceunen wrote:Steve,

I see you holding up Sparky's glider. This remembers me when we were there together the first time. Meanwhile I have a new glider and that won't happen again the first years. Firstly it has all open cells which makes it easier to inflate and secondly a newer glider has more structure. After many flights the PG gets like a tea bag. Well no frame you know.

If it gets West this weekend , lets fly dickies!

cheers
Tom
So Tom--no more Advance gliders? What are you flying now?

marc