Highland Sat12Nov

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Highland Sat12Nov

Post by markc »

I'm headed to Highland today. Should be a sunny
warm day, and Dr Jack's 'cast is pretty promising.
Let's fly!

Mark C.
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Joined a number of pilots at Ridgely to blue sky, more wind on the ground than expected, light thermals and moderate temps. It was the type of day if you found some lift (even light lift) you had to work it. Some flights were sleds, some were extended, and some were short soaring flights. After release I didn't find anything until I got to about 2100 agl and then found a small/light thermal that I worked for a while gaining a couple of hundred. Lost that one and went searching without success until a found a small/light thermal as 1100 which I hung onto trying to fly as effecient as possible. This one drifted North a good bit but working it, I got up to 2200. John Simon joined me in this thermal and we were thermaling good together. He left as it was weakening (good move on his part and he found some lift on the way back) and I stayed with it a bit longer but didn't find any lift after I left it. I ended with a 40 min flight after release which may have been the longest for the day. I was pleased getting a nice flight. Sorry that they are closing for the season and look forward to flying at Highland in the spring.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c