PG in NZ

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jimrooney

PG in NZ

Post by jimrooney »

Had my first PG high flight yesterday.

I've been taking lessons at the local school in Queenstown (Extreme Air). I've taken lessons in the States and kited PGs around quite a bit so it didn't take them long to chuck me off the top (Coronet Piek). Mucho Funo.

The picture isn't me, but if you check out my "week 2" photos, that's Coronet Launch. Stunning doesn't begin to describe it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/j1mrooney

I'm finding that hang gliding is done in Queenstown, but if you want to come and do hang gliding, bring your own wing. The only place I've heard so far of having a chance of finding a wing to fly, rent or buy is Christchurch and it sounds like a pretty locked up market (aka, pricy).

Learning PG and picking up used gear is a good bit easier.

Oh, one cool thing that you can do here in a PG...
Fly over town and land IN town. There's a gondola to the top that leaves from town and they land in the two schoolyards at the bottom. I'll have to get pictures, it's quite a sight. I may have to take a tandem ride just for that.

Jim
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Welcome to the "dark side." :lol:
Wait till you start doing tandem PGs--they have sink rates competitive to regular solo wings and therefore are easier to soar than their HG counterparts. A little more awkward launching, though. Put together a trip package--that's where the money's at.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
padamez

Post by padamez »

Great pictures Jim, thanks. Hey, that's a heck of a cadillac behind the company van! October has sucked here in contrast to a super September. Haven't gotten any flights this month. Keep those reports coming.
Paul Adamez
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Ah yes, the pink Cadalac....

The airfield is in the same spot as the "Monster Truck Ralley" (deep screaming voice of course) http://www.monstertrucksnz.com/index.htm

Ian, the owner, is an excellent neighbor and a whole lot of fun to have around. You can ride around in all kinds of offroad vehicles on his tracks. He has everything from mini atvs for the kids all the way up to monster trucks for the adults (yes, you get to drive it).

I'll have to get more pics of that place for ya.