Team Challenge: Daily Update Thread

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Post by Scott »

I'm posting from launch at Henson's Gap, Tennessee at the kickoff evening of the 2005 Team Challenge. Members of our Blue Sky/CHGPA team arrived at various times yesterday and today and all assembled for dinner tonight at the Dunlap Restaurant.

Our gang includes: myself, Bill Priday, Daniel Shapiro, Hank Hengst, Karma Hengst, Bruce Engen, Rance Rupp, and Linda Baskerville. We're among about 30 other pilots who are here now, and many more are supposed to show up tomorrow. We're all camping at the Henson's launch, complete with a large pavilion with electricity and lights, a bath house with toilets and a propane-fired shower...and the Treetoppers club house.

Conditions today and through the weekend look like partly sunny/cloudy, L&V with a general SE flow, so the plan is start the competition at the SE-facing Whitwell launch tomorrow.

This year's Team Challenge looks every bit the great opportunity for us newbies that we had hoped. Pilots are being ranked as A (H4's with XC experience), B (H3's with some XC experience or lots of general flying experience) and C (new H3s with no XC experience). Teams consist of one A pilot, one B pilot, and 1-3 C pilots.

In the spirit of teaching, the meet is being structured to cater to us "C" pilots (which we're plenty happy about!). C pilots are being given top priority in setup location (the front of the setup area) and launches. We'll be launched first in the best possible air, and B and C pilots won't launch until us C's have gotten above the ridge. We've been told to head out and land immediately if we don't find lift pretty quickly, break down, and get back up to launch for a reflight.

Very easy tasks are being setup for us XC newbies, starting with distances of only 4-5 miles and pre-designated landing fields with windsocks. As the meet continues, if C pilots improve, the C tasks will increase in difficulty. A and B pilots are both given the same tasks.

Meet organizer Dean Funk has done an excellent job so far of putting together a first-class meet, and he's thrilled that the "C" pilots far outnumber the A's and B's!

I'll try to post something about the day's events in this thread each day, so stay tuned!

Scott
drice21037

Post by drice21037 »

This is from the Yahoo! HG list. Take a look. A few of our pilots are
there, and a gorgeous sunset.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: HangGlide@yahoogroups.com [mailto:HangGlide@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Dean Funk
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:43 AM
To: HangGlide@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [HG] http://www.hangglide.tv/

http://www.hangglide.tv/

A few early photos from Team Challenge, more to come,

enjoy, Dean
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Funny how Karma's face finds it's way into every group shot.

If I wasn't gonna be out of town all next week I would have tried to go....I love the spirit of the thing as Scott's described it.
Brian Vant-Hull
Holly

Incident at 2005 Team Challenge

Post by Holly »

I don't have many details at this point, but I just got a call from Scott. Bill Priday launched from Whitwell without hooking in. Scott indicated there was about a 100 ft drop off from launch. Bill's status is unknown at this time. Please pray for him!

I will provide updates as I get them from Scott.

Holly
Holly

Status Update

Post by Holly »

Scott just informed me that Bill didn't make it. He died. The only other information I have is that no CHGPA or Blue Sky pilots were part of Bill's wire crew.

I don't know what else to say. I'm sitting here weeping for Bill. He was such a wonderful guy. So full of life and fun loving.

Holly
Lauren Tjaden

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

I am too upset to be politically correct. What the hell is this? I mean, do you have to be my friend before you die? I don't want to know you if you are going to go away. I mean, I really don't. Be some faceless nobody who I don't care about. The list of friends you have that have died hang gliding is,?at some point,?like the guys you have slept with. It's bad to count.
I started?teasing Bill the first 2 minutes I met him. He had emailed me that he had a red glider, and that that was how?I would know him; but when?I saw it-- wow! You needed sunglasses to look at that puppy. He was really happy when we got Steve Wendt a cake celebrating his instructor of the year rating.?Why? Bill was a nice guy. Was? How ridiculous. He should be here, with us. Isn't he here?
He landed so perfectly, every time. He told me how he had worked on his landings. He slammed the keel into the ground each one. He wanted a big margin of safety. I liked him. He was pretty young. He liked to party but loved to fly.
I guess I am making progress. I couldn't even talk about Chad in the past tense for maybe a year and a half after he died. Yeah, this is good. I am getting lots more used to this shit. You pile it in and I will be over you soon.
At all comps, even foot launch ones, someone should perform hang checks on all the pilots, like at the Flytec or FL Ridge or or, you all know, all of them. It is really easy to forget things when you are?competing. Or just flying. There need to be checks, like every time you fly, by other people. Lisa Cain is one of the best for doing second checking.
I am crying too right now. But?I am sick of crying. Sobbing. I love flying so much. I am spending the last of my active years trying to be OK at it. It is so enormous, the things we experience. The eagles and vultures and clouds we see, the friends we have. That feel when your glider grabs the sky and spirals upwards.
I told Paul if he dies carelessly?I will not cremate him according to his wishes, that I will bury him with the worms and let him rot. It's just a threat. We will have been married for 20 years in 2 months. Who knows, we will all die anyhow, eventually. But please be careful. Please do not throw it away. In my own sloppy way, I love you.
Lauren
?
?

Holly <holly.korzilius@gmail.com> wrote:
Scott just informed me that Bill didn't make it. He died. The only other information I have is that no CHGPA or Blue Sky pilots were part of Bill's wire crew.

I don't know what else to say. I'm sitting here weeping for Bill. He was such a wonderful guy. So full of life and fun loving.

Holly
Yahoo! for Good
Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
mcelrah

Bill Priday

Post by mcelrah »

Bill was a prince. He and I launched in still air at Hyner in July,
then I got to spend a bit of time with him at the Manquin repack.
Words fail me... - Hugh

On 1 Oct 2005, at 14:38, Holly wrote:

>
> Scott just informed me that Bill didn't make it. He died. The
> only other information I have is that no CHGPA or Blue Sky pilots
> were part of Bill's wire crew.
>
> I don't know what else to say. I'm sitting here weeping for Bill.
> He was such a wonderful guy. So full of life and fun loving.
>
> Holly
>
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Bill was a jewel of a man; free spirit,fun loving and enjoyed life. He brought song and good times eveytime I saw him at Blue Sky. I can't believe he is gone. He will be missed. Please be careful as you fly this week.

Joe

Holly
BudA

Bill P

Post by BudA »

Bill P

Kathy and I will miss you.

I will continue to fly. So many friends over the years have passed over while flyng...so much pain in trying to understand....

But, Kathy's brother left us; he didn't even fly. My mother and father; they didn't fly. So many Aunts and Uncles, so many other relatives and friends; they didn't fly either. I understand Bill. We all pass.... Some fly and many, many more dont.

Kathy and I will remember the times at Quest. It is in the memories that our life is defined........you are there....

You could be such a prince......we are glad that our life crossed yours and we were blessed with having known you....

I will continue to fly Bill.....and I know you would want me to.....

and I know that I too will some day join you.....and how it happens is ok...

Till later Bill......

Bud and Kathy A
Scott

Post by Scott »

Team Challenge, Day Two...

There was a long, emotional pilots' meeting this morning by the ramp at Henson's. Dean Funk, the meet organizer, has been devastated by Bill's death as much as anyone, having seen other deaths in the sport, and having actually left the sport, sold all his gear, and only recently decided to start flying again.

One thing is painfully obvious to everyone here: there was no official structure at launch yesterday. No designated Launch Director, no designated Safety Director. We all know there should have been. And, of course, there will be from now on. Some might blame the Team Challenge organizers for that oversight, but of course blaming anyone for Bill's death would be useless. There were many contributing factors, not least of which was Bill's own carelessness and gung-ho attitude.

Dean asked if anyone wanted to say anything about Bill. After an awkward moment of silence, I stepped up and tried my best to communicate the essence of Bill---his love and dedication to the sport, his big future plans, his warmth, and his eternal optimism. It was incredibly hard, and I got choked up while talking. Thankfully, others stepped forward to offer their memories of Bill as well. Finally, there was a long moment of silence in Bill's memory.

It was decided that the meet will go on today. Everyone felt, as Dennis Pagen eloquently put it, that flying for all of us is an affirmation of life, and that flying is how best to commemorate Bill and move past his death. Conditions look good for another Whitwell day, with clear skies and E-SE winds.

Last night I was wanting to just pack up and leave. I still felt that way when I woke this morning...but after more reflection, more conversations with fellow pilots, and after our meeting I've decided to stay. I want to fly, as do others in our group...but today's still too soon. So Daniel, Linda, Rance, and myself are not flying today. We'll just relax, maybe watch some launches from Whitwell, and continue healing. Tomorrow is a new day, and we all want to get back in the air. We've got all week, and we plan to fly at our own pace...and not get caught up in any pressures---perceived or real---of competing for miles. (We may just end up free flying near the primary LZ all week, which suits us fine.)

Hank is flying today, and Bruce may fly (he's going to launch with gear, and will decide then). I'm happy they're flying, and hope they go high and far!

Meanwhile, all Bill's gear has been packed up and stowed in his truck, where it will remain until we drive it back to Richmond.

It's still enormously difficult to comprehend Bill's loss, but we're determined to carry on, be safer, more vigilant, follow our preflight routines even more vigilantly, and have fun---because that's what Bill would have wanted.

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

Tuesday morning...

Daniel, Linda and I all left yesterday, and are back in Richmond now after a long drive home. I wanted to fly in Tennessee, and hoped after a day of reflection and the passage of time I'd be in a better frame of mind. It never happened. Night before last, I awoke in my hammock in the middle of the night, and in the dark silence could only think of Bill. His fatal launch just kept rolling over and over in my head like a cursed video.

Daniel thought he might be able to fly too, but like me, he realized it was impossible. Rance, Bruce, Hank and Karma are still there. I hope they all flew high and far yesterday!

As I pondered whether to stay and fly, I never doubted my ability to launch and land safely. For me though, flying is every bit as much mental as physical (probably more so). My mental state is everything. Perhaps if I'd had years of experience under my belt (like many other pilots at the Team Challenge), I'd have been better able to put Bill's death behind me and simply enjoy being in the air again. But with my limited experience, I couldn't do it.

When I got into this sport, I made a promise to myself that I'd never fly unless I was feeling happy, optimistic, confident, physically fit, and completely comfortable. Anything less, and I pack it up for the day. I doubt I would have felt any better had I stayed in Tennessee a few more days. There were still too many painful reverberations there.

I'm certain had there not been an accident, we would all have flown the entire week and had a great time. But it wasn't meant to be.

We arrived around 11pm last night at the home of Nick and Sandi Martina---two of Bill's best friends and neighbors. Tex Forrest was there too. It was an emotional homecoming, as we all shared tears and hugs. Then we sat and talked about the accident, talked about Bill, and just decompressed. There were more tears during quiet moments, and also laughter remembering some of Bill's crazier moments.

Daniel, Linda and I are driving up to Blue Sky flight park this morning to see Steve and to drop off Bill's Sport 2. The glider is in good shape---no tears in the sail, no noticeable breaks or bends in the airframe. Lots of scuffs on the leading edge, tangled VG lines, but nothing Steve couldn't easily fix. (As I mentioned earlier, gliders don't land hard with nobody in them.)

There is a memorial service tentatively planned for this Saturday in Richmond. We should get confirmation sometime today. I don't know the family's wishes regarding how many people they'd mind coming (in case anyone wishes to attend), but I'll post information as soon as it's available.

Scott