more Quest fun

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Lauren Tjaden

more Quest fun

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

I begged Mr. Beep to be quiet, but my 5030 wouldn't listen. Just kept screaming like he had been raped. I wore more clothes today -- a jacket instead of speed sleeves -- but cloudbase was even higher than yesterday, around 6000 feet, so I still was as frozen as a Bird's Eye chili dog in a 7-11. Most of the lift was around 300 up, though I found a couple of rippers at 500 or more.
Kevin took off for Virginia this morning, so only Paul and I enjoyed the unbelievable conditions. I couldn't stand to stay right around the field today, so I flew down to the tower 5 miles south a couple of times, and then back again. First you have the Quest field, then this big strip I have landed on twice this last year, and then the tower field -- all really big. So I figured it was a way to have some fun and be over easy fields the whole time. I thought I was going to deck it early on -- and away from home, without my cell phone -- but after I found the "savior thermal" halfway back to Quest, I could do no wrong.
I decided to check out my glide according to my 5030 in the blue but I kept getting higher. I tested clouds. Ditto. The whole planet was going up. I tried to pratice flying upright. Damn! If Angel would just quit climbing!
I really could not get Angel on the ground. I was over the field for at least half an hour, like at 1000 feet. I was so tired I finally said screw my landing spot. I just headed in when I thought I would not overshoot the field.
I told Paul how exhausted I was. I swam 30 laps this morning, then rode my horse, and then flew for over 2 hours. But he just started laughing about how hard my life is. He has a point. I am tremendously lucky.
I need to get flying fit, like the fittest of my life. But I seem to be in the right place. In fact, I really feel like I am in the right place, in more ways than one.
Please come visit us this winter. We have room, and flying is always more fun with buddies.
Lauren
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Awesume to hear from ya kiddo :)
Glad to hear you're getting some good flying in down there too.

Jim
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Sounds like you're liking your Litespeed. It would be very interesting to see you go up with Paul on his Litespeed and see how much difference that rigid really makes. :lol:

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Paul Tjaden

Post by Paul Tjaden »

She'd kick my butt! I can barely keep above her with my ATOS. I think that Moyes has REALLY improved the Litespeed over the last few years. I am absolutely amazed at how much better Lauren is climbing on her new wing than on her Sport II. I expected a better glide but did not expect so much difference in the climb rate and sink rate. Wow!

I can still whup her pretty good on glide, though, but that will probably only last until she transitions into her new Rotor harness.

Paul