Repack Weekend at Blue Sky

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Not much more to report: I will be leaving shortly to drive down tonight.
As Brian said, there is a small camping fee at Blue Sky, slightly higher for sleeping in the bunk house. I wll be there all weekend with all the supplies, so if there is interest in Sunday repacking, we can accomodate that.

Note that Biran announced a $5 fee (per chute packed). This is to defray the supplies costs. Last to two years it was $20-$25. That was becasue we rented tables. This year we are using the plastic ground cloth.

Reminder from the earlier post

Suggested things to do in the few days before coming:

1. Yank your chute, throw it, and let it air out for a few hours (I'd suggest getting together with friends in a park...maybe even suspend yourself from a jungle jim). Try not to lose the bungee retainer loops.
(Not really eseential - we can throw the chtes at teh park)

2. Gather any parachute literature and manuals you can find, and read them.

What to Bring:

1. Parachute, helmet and harness (for deployment practice).
2. Any literature you have concerning parachutes, especially your parachute manual.
3. Weights for the parachute packing process. Tube socks filled with beans are excellent: but old phone books work pretty well too.
4. Any food, drinks, or snacks that you want. We will have a grill with some food for a nominal fee. Yes, alcohol is welcome!
5. Money for fees and anything else we might do afterwards.
6. Cassette tapes with music to enhance the packing experience.

What to do when you arrive:
1. Hang yourself up and practice deployment, even if you practiced a few days ago.
2. Stretch out the chute on the tables, and inspect it for wear.
3. Get a buddy and repack the chute.
4. Hang out and party!

I'll see everyone there!

cragin

p.s, Be SURE to thank Steve for letting us do this. He is not charging anything for space, just letting us clutter up the area for a while.
Best way to thank him, is, of course, to do some flying, but say it outloud, too.

[quote="brianvh"]Cragin has just informed me that he's secured the repack materials from Ellis' room-mate, so we are good to go for the repack. We will be stretching out plastic sheets on the ground rather than going with tables, so the charge will likely only be $5 a person. And you won't want to miss the traditional Manquin bonfire (camping fees apply, as they do at Ridgely).

Cragin will post final details when he gets home around 4 pm.[/quote]
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Actually, it was never more than $15 in the past, with food included.
Just couldn't let that go.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, CraginS wrote:

>
> Note that Biran announced a $5 fee (per chute packed). This is to defray the supplies costs. Last to two years it was $20-$25. That was becasue we rented tables. This year we are using the plastic ground cloth.
>
Marcel Dettling

Post by Marcel Dettling »

We won't make it to the repack. It's a very long drive for us, I think we won't be able to fly without ever having been towed before, we have a diaper-type reserve container and we don't know how to pack the reserve.

So I hope the reserve will happily stay in my harness until I'm back in Switzerland the next time, where I will repack it with someone who is familiar with the type and brand of reserve I have.

I wish you a successful event & thanks for the advice.

Marcel
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Thanks to Cragin and Brian for making the repack happen.

The blipmap looks good for both Saturday and Sunday: 500 fpm both days. Hopefully, everyone who comes and flies will speck out.

See you there!
~Daniel