Hook-in Failure discussion

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

brianvh

Re: Hook-in Failure discussion

Post by brianvh »

I like it. Do your preflight from the bottom up, with a no-fail hook-in check at the end. And just to let everyone else around you who is criticizing your launch procedure know why you do it, say everything you do out loud including 'getting my helmet, FEELING STRAP RESISTANCE, buckling the chinstrap...."

I may actually adopt this: as idiot proof as we're gonna get.
Brian Vant-Hull
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Kurt/Tim,

Fine, if one has a technique that helps, go for it by all means.

The problem with this technique is that it's a logical impossibility and does not bring you into compliance with the requirements of your rating.

It cannot be "the last thing (you) do prior to launch".

At the very minimum between the time you perform this autocheck you have to:

unbuckle the helmet from the nose wires;
put it on;
buckle it; and
pick up and the glider.

In the real world you may be delayed by other procedures.

If the wind is strong and gusty you may want to minimize your time on the ramp and the inconvenience to your crew. You may want to have your helmet on while you pick your way up over the vandalized steps of the north Pulpit ramp.

If the wind is strong and gusty or light and switchy you may spend a long time - through no fault of your own - waiting for something worthy of being launched into. You may end up picking up and setting down your glider half a dozen times.

And during those periods - be they ten seconds or ten minutes in duration - you are distraction vulnerable.

I don't know why anyone would want to risk his life based upon his memory of a check performed five or ten minutes ago.

The requirements of your rating state:

>
With each flight, demonstrates a method of establishing that the pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
<

It's so simple, easy, and damn near idiot proof. About the only thing that can bite you is a partial/insecure connection and those - to the best of my knowledge - are rare enough to have never been a factor in an accident. Never in the history of hang gliding has a lift and tugger been hurt or killed.

The rule has been around for at least three decades. Yet there seems to be this massive, almost universal resistance to adhering to it. I've go no clue as to the reason for this. I would LOVE to hear some individual responses.

Statistically speaking, we're way less willing to fly without backup suspension than we are to fly without the glider itself.

Brian,

2008/09/13 12:12:52

>
Of course the danger of training yourself to use the Aussie system is when you are in your harness, you've taught yourself everything's okay. That's why the redudancy of lifting the glider to feel the strap tighten is good.
<

The lift and tug (or reasonable facsimile) is mandatory. It's the Aussie method (and/or anything else) that provides the redundancy.
Kurt Hirrlinger

Post by Kurt Hirrlinger »

This procedure evolved while practicing in high winds on flat ground. I would stand ahead
of the cross bar and control the glider w/ the nose wires and wait for a lull.
I needed unobstructed vision to insure quick and proper connection, or disconnection if
necessary (the gate facing rearward makes release a lot easier). Then came the helmut -
I figured it was safer to fly without a hat than unhooked. Problem is you need long arms to do this and, I got spooked once when a nose wire crew handed me my helmet.
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

I think it's a bad idea to hook into a hang glider or paraglider without a helmet on. Speaking from experience, you can be unexpectedly cartwheeled or lifted and slamed back down especially in strong conditions. I think it's also a bad idea to kite a PG w/o a helmet for the same reasons.

Danny Brotto
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

I think it's a bad idea to hook into a hang glider or paraglider without a helmet on. Speaking from experience, you can be unexpectedly cartwheeled or lifted and slamed back down especially in strong conditions. I think it's also a bad idea to kite a PG w/o a helmet for the same reasons.

Danny Brotto
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The gate facing rearward also increases the chances of you damaging your parachute bridle during a deployment from an impossibility to a near certainty.

Yeah, we fly with those things almost exclusively for show too, but...
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Danny Brotto

Hey Danny,

When did you get a helmet???

:)

Matthew