Re: Hey Scott W.

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Jim Hodges

Re: Hey Scott W.

Post by Jim Hodges »

Scott,

Thanks for the encouragment. I was away on spring break. Woodstock was a dream come true. I have stood on that mtn. side many times and wondered if I would ever fly off. The conditions were good for a launch. It went like any practice launch with air moving straight in. I would have soared longer if it wasn't for the fact that a line on my harness was on the wrong side of my leg. It took up tension and caused me to be way too high over my control bar. I had never attempted to get my feet in on training hills and of course on a aerotow that was not a consideration. It worked on the first try, much to my chagrin. Not only was the harness uncomfortable but it made me concerned about performing a decent landing. I landed on my feet but it was not a good approach with speed. I ended up too low on final. As it was at one point I could have gained lots of altitude during the soar, but I pulled in as far as I could with the harness problem to avoid that. It was truly an amazing experience.

I look forward to meeting you and more of the pilots.

Neersville, VA near Harpers Ferry WV
Jim Hodges 540-668-6012
Scott

Post by Scott »

On my first soaring flight down at Henson's Gap in Tennessee, I launched, climbed above the ridge, then pulled my zipper line...and it was STUCK! I cursed it, but kept flying. Every few minutes, between being blown away at the fact I was actually soaring, I tried to get the zipper line up again---no good. After about 20 minutes, my legs were getting a bit tired from pushing back against the boot to keep them up...I sarted letting them sag down, and began to bum out that my flight might be cut short because I couldn't zip up.

Then, after about a half-hour in the air, I pulled the OTHER zipper line---and it zipped right up! :D Man, did I feel like a moron! LOL (Got the lines confused...)

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

Just noticed you're in Neersville---we're neighbors! (I'm about 20 minutes from there.) Are you right on Harpers Ferry Road (671)? I'm in Shepherdstown---Christy Huddle lives in Harpers Ferry.

Scott
Jim Hodges

Re: Scott

Post by Jim Hodges »

I'm on Harpers Ferry Rd near the Volunteer Fire Department for Neersville 2 miles from the river.

The weather is rather unruly today.

If all goes well I should be making my second mtn. flight soon.

Jim