Woodstock Saturday Feb 10

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Joe Schad

Woodstock Saturday Feb 10

Post by Joe Schad »

Anyone planning to do the hike in to Woodstock Saturday?

Joe
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Actually maybe High Rock would be the choice for the day since no carry hike in the snow is required.

joe
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Actually maybe High Rock would be the choice for the day since no carry/ hike in the snow is required.

joe
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

Hey Joe

High Rock doesn't sound too bad, but I am worried that it might be a little strong there. I will check in the morning, but based on how things look now (9:45 pm) I would say woodstock is a better bet.

Tom
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I am still thinking about Woodstock. The direction is better today. Winds aloft forecast is stronger than last night's forecast, but the surface winds forecast appears to be reasonable.

Tom
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I will attempt to head out early (for trike flying at Front Royal). If successful, I can give winds aloft report. 301 980-6381 (cell) - Hugh
garys

Post by garys »

I am up for the hike. I will not be back on the list serve but will have my cell on.

Gary Smith
H 540-955-3956
W 540-955-3174 x 490
C 540-664-6843
Gary Smith
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Gary and I are going to try to meet in the LZ at 1100 then head around back.

Joe
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Bear with the apparent off-topic powered-flying talk in the first paragraph - it all comes together, I promise:

Ellis and I met at Front Royal for a trike flight (on her first flight, her camera battery died). Kolie was out there with the combined MASA and Skyline sailplane clubs hoping to catch some mountain wave. Gassed up, preflighted, took many tries to start the cold engine and we were off - proudly sporting "N" numbers on the wheel pants (and using them as our aviation band radio callsign), as my partner and I completed the conversion from "ultralite" to Experimental-Light Sport Aircraft last Sunday. Kolie had warned of turbulence associated with the wave above 3000, so we were pretty cautious and turned back from our intended flight over Woodstock launch at the first bobble from ridge lift. Went downwind and took a look at the Dickie's launch, then back for a *perfect* landing on the concrete runway (wind was straight in, so no rotor over the trees on the south side as is often the case). Half hour flight due to cold fingers and feet (it was 35 on the ground when we took off).

Proceeded to the back of Woodstock (Gary had called and offered a ride from the LZ, so we wouldn't have to worry about shuttling) and I humped my PG up to launch. Tom had launched around 1 PM, Pete launched as we walked up about 10 minutes later, then Joe and Gary. We saw sail planes apparently parked high above, but HGs at around 500 above the ridge seemed to have plenty of maneuverability. Joe and Gary reported gnarly conditions with uncommanded turns and strong ups (and downs?). Laszlo decided to give it a go after it calmed down some. Seeing his apparent success (he later reported having gotten above 3000 over the valley), I laid out my wing but on my first launch attempt in what I thought was a lull, I got jerked off my feet (still reversed) and then set back down on my butt, but the wing was already out of whack. Ellis helped me reset, but the gusts kept coming, so we (literally) bagged it, hiked back down and went to dinner at Jalisco in Front Royal. Gorgeous day, Ellis' dogs had a good time, and at least the trike kept us from getting totally skunked. - Hugh
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

A fun day at Woodstock. Pete Schumann and I flew for a little over 2 hours. I maxed out at 2600 over, and spent most of the flight close to 2000 over. Winds aloft were pretty reasonable (less than 15 mph) with lots of fun thermals. We landed over the back, and Joe and Zelda gave us a ride back our truck which was parked at the gate on the back of the mountain. Lots of ice in the river.

I never made it up to altitude where I saw the sail planes, but did manage to spend a fair amount of time soaring in the valley and made it out to Woodstock once.

Tom McGowan
kolielombard

Wave Sat feb 10

Post by kolielombard »

Off-topic - sailplanes. It was one of those good wave days where the wind speeds were low enough to traverse upwind throught the wave harmonics. One pilot almost made it to Petersburg, WV, in the wave. The Wave was very consistent up to 14,000ft.

Kolie
Nelson Lewis

Post by Nelson Lewis »

Dear Kolie,
Your post was not off topic. Thank you for the report
Nelson Lewis (434) 996-7879