Flight Tales from Switzerland

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Marcel Dettling

Flight Tales from Switzerland

Post by Marcel Dettling »

I'm glad that the forum is back online, but it's a bit of a bummer that all my previous pics and stories are gone (no backups on my side neither...) :cry:

Time to start a new thread. In the pic below, that's me thermalling at around 14000ft on a long XC flight in the Wallis. Behind are the glaciers and summits of Strahlhorn and Rimpfischhorn, both around 14000ft as well.

More to follow later. It's not prime flying weather in the alps currently, but having flown 300+ hours this year I can also enjoy biking and climbing.

Cheers,

Marcel
Marcel Dettling

2 more pictures

I found 2 more pictures

That's me flying above Crans Montana, a posh resort in the Swiss Alps. Golfers may know it, they have an important tournament there every year. Although it doesn't pay that well, soaring above the golf course is much better... The tall mountain behind, that's Mont Blanc, already on French and Italian territory.

Don't forget me! I hope this picture helps. It was taken right after a 10.5 hour/110 mile XC flight. I'd say I look pretty fresh, but look at Loecky, he's totally exhausted! Funny story by the way. I couldn't make it back to Fiesch (where I had launched from) by a few miles and had to land out in a quite restricted field, thus needed to concentrate fully. On the ground, all of a sudden I see my buddy Adrian standing under a tree. He had landed in the same field a couple of minutes earlier and was taking pictures of my landing.

Cheers,

Marcel
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I spent a summer in Montana Crans when I was a kid. Your pictures are awesome.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Marcel Dettling

Nice XC flight in the Jura

Most joyful things once come to an end, and so I guess I had my last XC flight before I restart to work this coming Friday. Unfortunately, the weather in August has been fairly poor (maybe to compensate for the glorious June and July), but last Wednesday we had a ridge of high pressure.

There was a strong inversion at 2500m (8300ft), with breezy westerly winds above. Below very little NE-wind and a good lapse rate. This means, no good flying could be expected in the alps, but it looked good for the Jura.

This is a lower, second mountain chain in the NW of Switzerland. The topography is very similar to the Shenandoah (or maybe better, West Virginia). But it's more densely populated, there are less trees, it's well developed with roads and public transportation, etc.

Identical to the Appalachians, the Jura also runs from SE to NW. But in contrast to the US, we here mostly fly the SE side instead of the NW. There are a few NW launches which are used sometimes for soaring, but the XC flying happens from the SE sites.

Last Wednesday I had a nice out and return flight of 83km (52mi). It was very quiet, little wind, no turbulence. It truly enjoyed being in the air and it took me almost 5 hours to cover that comparably little distance. Check out some pictures:

View from launch

View from above launch

On the crossing from the second to the first Jura chain

The Jura has nice rock climbing, too. You could even access the rocks by PG and topland...

More pictures and the full story of my flight: http://stat.ethz.ch/~dettling/wengi.html

Cheers,

Marcel
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Thanks, Marcel. I too have returned to work, but I certainly enjoyed the pictures! - Hugh
P.S. Finally got my Belgian abbey beer from Tom - it was very good!
Marcel Dettling

Hike & Fly

As the XC season in Switzerland is getting towards the end for this year, it's time to experience new adventures. In particular, hike&fly.

I just got a lightweight harness. It's really only a bit of webbing and a thin layer of cloth. It weighs less than 1 pound. But still, it's comfortable enough to fly it for 2-3 hours. If I include the glider, the harness, a bike helmet and the reserve in a front container, I have less than 20 pounds total weight. Very much hikeable.

For the flying only, it's probably not worth hiking for hours and climbing mountains. There are plenty of lifts here in Switzerland. You need to enjoy the physical effort of the climb, to be in nature and to experience unique adventures.

Last weekend, I went on a tour with Corinne. Check out some of the pictures below. We climbed for about 3 hours and 1100m (3600ft). There was a bit less sun as expected, so the flight finally wasn't as long as we had hoped for. Still, we found some thermals and could stay up for around 45 minutes.

This is at the start of our hike at the Weissenberge. We climbed Fuggstock, the peak on the horizon.

Corinne launching her Advance Epsilon a little bit below the summit of Fuggstock.

The view from launch

For the full set of pictures, go to http://stat.ethz.ch/~dettling/fuggstock.html

Cheers,

Marcel
Marcel Dettling

Paragliding at 13500ft!!!

Last Sunday, 10/08/2006 my friend Adrian and I climbed the Jungfrau (4158m/13642ft) in the Bernese Oberland, carrying our paragliders in the backpack. We then managed to launch from just below the summit. With that, another dream came true.

The climb is very serious mountaineering and involves rock as well as ice climbing. As we are in autumn, conditions were not the best. There was already a good portion of snow, so that we had to rockclimb with crampons, cross several deep glacier crevasses, and most importantly, make our own trace in often knee deep powder snow. It was a very strenuous undertaking, but absolutely worthwile: we were the only ones on the mountain and the weather was beautiful.

Just below the summit, there is a flat piece of glacier that makes an ideal launch site. As we had expected from the forecast, the conditions were perfect, with a moderate westerly wind of 5-8mph blowing in. Like this, it was a piece of cake to get airborne: reverse inflation, turn around, take a few steps and fly. No need to run like hell despite being at > 13500ft.

Due to a very stable high pressure system and autumn conditions, there were absolutely no thermals. Still, the sledride took us more than 45 minutes. We passed the Jungfraujoch, and then flew along the Mönch and the famous North Face of Eiger, before traversing across Grindelwald and flying to Interlaken.

This was the absolutely perfect synthese of mountaineering and paragliding. Check out the pictures below!

Approaching the Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe as they say

That’s my new desktop background: with the Mamboo in front of the Eiger North Face. I climbed it in 2003, so it was fun to watch some of the climbing passages from close by again.

That’s the Jungfrau (4158m/13642ft) where we flew from. Gliding down in around 45 minutes, that’s much better than a long, dangerous and strenuous climb down!

Enjoy the autumn,

Marcel
Spark

Post by Spark »

Most beautiful. Your photos and reports are always inspiring and enjoyable. Thanks!

The past week I have been flying a lightweight airbag harness to keep the total backpack weight under 20lbs. I will eventually do a 'hike and fly' in the Rockies, but I'm sure it will not be as technical as the Jungfrau ;)

'Spark
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Yes, many thanks Marcel, for keeping us inspired! When I got started in HG, I found out there was this Everest climb of skill development and experience building to face. Fortunately, each new achievement only allows one to see yet more possibilities. - Hugh
Marcel Dettling

Jungfrau

Now online:

Pictures and some text from our climb and fly trip to Jungfrau. Check it out at:

http://stat.ethz.ch/~dettling/jungfrau.html

Cheers,

Marcel
Matthew

Climb and Fly

Post by Matthew »

SPECTACULAR!!!

Matthew
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Wow! So, Marcel, I gather that you have to know basic mountaineering (how to use ropes and crampons), be a good judge of conditions, both of the atmosphere and the snow, and be a pretty good pilot in case the launch and flight conditions are *not* optimal.

Do you get optimal conditions like that often? My experience here in the mid-Atlantic is that conditions are often strong enough that one prefers HG to PG. Is that just because I'm a P2, or are conditions often milder in the Alps than they are in these little mountains?

Thanks for the great slide show! Will you be back sometime to give us the talking that goes along with the pictures? (Not that the captions weren't adequate.) - Hugh
Marcel Dettling

Speedriding!!!

Yeeehaaa!!! Yesterday I went speedriding for the first time. You don't know what this is? Well, this is a mixture between paragliding, parachuting and skiing.

You do it with skis on your feet, since the canopies that are used are not suitable for footlaunch. The wings are a mixture between a paraglider and a parachute. They have a size of about 10-14 square meters (about half the size of a regular PG) and a trim speed of around 45mph. And they do have very poor glide, about 3.5:1.

But this actually is the main reason for the fun, because you can stay close to the terrain. And that's what you do, you can go fast like hell, ski for some turns with the glider above your head and if there's a drop, you just fly four a couple of hundred feet, and so on! Very fast and dynamic, and absolutely awesome! Not so dangerous, if you have a good command of paragliding.

I'm definitely hooked! And you should go and do it!

Cheers and check the pictures below (sorry, no action footage available),

Marcel

Spark

Post by Spark »

Marcel,

That looks like fun. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there are currently and ski areas in the US that allow this, so I guess I will have to come to Europe : )
'Spark
Marcel Dettling

First XC of the year

You're always welcome, Spark! Though after easter, most ski resort shut down their lifts, so the speedriding season is over.

Well, that's ok given the fact that the season for regular flying has definitely started. Just yesterday I went XC flying for the first time after a long break.

It resulted in a 106.53km (66.2mi) out and return flight. For the first 2 hours, the conditions were absolutely great. Widespread and very strong lift (9.5m/s = 1900fpm was the max I recorded). At that stage I thought I might even exceed 100 miles for the first flight of the season. But then a little bit too much cloud development kicked in, so the thermals got slow and I had to struggle with headwind and weak climbs.

But still, I managed to edge out a couple of hundred feet every once in a while and only put it down after 5.5 hours for a flight exceeding the magical 100km mark. Good day!

Sorry, no pictures this time. It was pretty cold at altitude, so that I had to use the down mitts - which are not very camera-friendly.

Cheers,

Marcel
Marcel Dettling

Hello Everybody

Almost half a year since my last post here - maybe most of you hardly remember me, since it's also > 1.5 years since I moved out of the area, i.e. back to Switzerland.

I have flown very little this past summer, focusing on days with good XC potential. Well, the weather wasn't as great as last year for big flights, so that I finally only went 5 times. At least, on 4 of these occasions, I could exceed the 100kms (62mi) mark, though no really notable flight was among them.

I have spent most (and that was a lot :-))of my time rock climbing, i.e. alpine multipitch sport climbing. Switzerland offers some of the very best venues to do so, and it has been my favorite pasttime for the last 20 years, so these are not really news to those who know me for more than the last 3 years, where a major part of my time was dedicated to PGing. For me, the mental challenge in bold lead climbs is at least as big as in PGing (though from an objective perspective, climbing is safer), and the physical requirements are of course a lot higher in climbing, so I'm not missing anything at all.

Nevertheless, it's autumn and thus time to combine climbing, hiking and flying. I have done this throughout the summer occasionally, but right now is clearly the best season for it. Just one pic:

More of these at http://stat.ethz.ch/~dettling/hagleren.html and if you wish you'll find also several climbing picture galleries on my webpage.

Have fun and all the best,

Marcel
Gigi

Flying Pictures

Post by Gigi »

Hey
:roll:
Those are beautiful views! ake me miss being up in the sky.... I want to blow them up and put them on my desk top to make me get organized so I can go flying again!

Gigi
Spark

Post by Spark »

Marcel!

It is always a pleasure to read of your adventures and view your inspiring photos.

Will you be speed-riding this winter?
'Spark
Marcel Dettling

@ Spark: Nice to hear from you! Though I was thinking about it, I haven't bought a speedriding kit at the end of last winter. Don't really know yet whether I will do it for the coming winter. Let's see...

I have been flying both Sunday and yesterday! On Sunday, we climbed Piz Segnas and Piz Sardona, both 10k+ feet glacier peaks, and were then able to launch from there. The conditions were good enough to soar and get above launch, followed by another small XC towards the next railway station. Check the pic:

Yesterday was even better: I did some heli-paragliding. I'm involved in a research project with the Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research. We had to dismantle a gauge high up in the mountains, which was done by helicopter. I took my PG gear with me and after everthing was loaded up into the helicopter, hiked for about 30 minutes to reach a perfect south facing launch. Conditions were optimal: gentle thermals of up to 5m/s, beautiful fall colors with perfect views. I reached an altitude of 13k+ feet and was able to cruise through the high alps. Later flew in direction of my home and still made around 35 miles - a dream of a flight!

The gods of free flight do their best for me these days!

Cheers,

Marcel
Marcel Dettling

Hammer Conditions in Switzerland

Hammer conditions in Switzerland. The last couple of days offered excellent weather conditions for big distance XC flights. So yesterday I took a day off from work and went hunting miles. It paid off very well - I could complete a 224km = 140mi FAI triangle in just 9 hours 15 minutes. That's a personal best for me and also the longest closed course flight which was ever done worldwide on a LTF 1-2 wing - kind of a world record though :D

Link to the flight: http://www.xcontest.org/switzerland/en/ ... 2008/08:15

Cheers and happy flying in the U.S. and elsewhere,

Marcel
Matthew

Re: Flight Tales from Switzerland

Post by Matthew »

AMAZING!!!

Big congrats!!!!!

Matthew
Spark

Re: Flight Tales from Switzerland

Post by Spark »