New face on the list and in the sky

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Tamas

New face on the list and in the sky

Post by Tamas »

Hi all,

I am a new member on the list, and I would like to introduce myself:
My name is Tamas Fischer, I just arrived from Germany some weeks ago. In the next 4-5 years I will work in the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.
I am Hungarian, I started paragliding 7 years ago, in the last six years I lived and flew in Germany.
I would like to ask your help in some issues:
- I do not know if I need any additional documents to fly here (I have my German license, the international IPPI card (Para Pro5), German Paragliding and Hang gliding insurance and the documents of my wing).
- Should I join the USHPA, or are there other associations direct for paraglider pilots?
- Does the 69$ annual fee already include the insurance costs? Can I fly with my German insurance, which is valid world-vide?
- Finally the most important; I would be really happy if any of you could give me tips, where to go to fly and for any local information.
My e-mail address: fischerta@mail.nih.gov
Cell phone: 301-807-3462

See you (hopefully) soon in the sky!

Tamas
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Since none of the PG folks have responded yet, I'll throw out some answers:

- your ratings are all good here.
- USHPA is the only paragliding related organization available.
- The $69 fee includes insurance (to protect landowners, not you), I have no idea how the 'worldwide' insurance would play out here, so best get what we have here. You will also have to join local clubs (CHGPA at http://www.chgpa.org; and if you go further west, the mountaineers at http://www.mountaineerflyers.org) in order to subsidize the local sites.
- We are having a work party at a local HG/PG site this saturday (the Pulpit)to prepare it for an upcoming festival. You will earn much appreciation and be able to quickly tour 3 out of the 4 PG sites close to the DC area if you come and help out. It may be flyable at Fisher Rd about an hour from the Pulpit. You can also get a site guide from Hugh McElrath, who may have it in an email version by now.

Welcome to our area...look forward to meeting you!
Brian Vant-Hull
mcelrah

site guide/webforum

Post by mcelrah »

Welcome Tamas! Alas, I have not yet been given permission by the board to post the site guide in the members-only portion of the website. So you must send me a check for $7.50 and I will send you a paper site guide.

Hugh McElrath
5708 39th Avenue
Hyattsville MD 20781-1715

On another note: how do you guys STAND web-only forums??? Can't wait to get it back as e-mail!
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, and sorry that I did not show up on Saturday at the work party :oops:
I was really hampered. I believe, I will have the opportunity to make up for that in the future.

I am sending the check on Monday.

I am looking forward to meeting you soon!

Tamas
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Hi Hugh:
I bought my copy of the site guide last year -- it's dated July 2005. Have you made any/many changes to that version? I'm curious how often I should purchase an update. I actually like my current version -- has lots of personal notes so would rather not update unless there's a good reason to.
Tomas:
Looking forward to meeting you!
Regards,
Charlie
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Tamas-
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing you on a mountainside soon. Keep the Pulpit Fly-in in mind on 9/16-9/17.

Brian-
Thanks for responding to Tamas. Matthew and Sparky also kindly wrote directly to him. We should have put something about that here.

Charlie-
Your site guide is fine at this time. The only change I can think of is no flying at Fisher during hunting season (Christy might remind me of something else). Plus, I think you're plugged into the community well enough to hear about major site protocol changes. Congrats on that P3!!!!

Hugh-
Thanks again for taking on the site guide gig for the next 15 years. Feel free to propose any changes on access.

~Daniel
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

My proposal to the board is that the site guide be uploaded to the members-only portion of the website. I will continue to be responsible for updating the info, but will no longer be distracted with copying/mailing. Profits from sale of the site guide are negligible, in my view (I count $50 since I took over). I understand that others may have different views and welcome a thorough discussion. - Hugh